We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I won the the Tristar Hidden Treasures Babe Ruth Auto Baseball and was wondering how much do you think it is worth and what is the best way to sell it. It comes with a LOA from PSA/DNA

Views: 1787

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Rick, I just hate having it and not being able to display it. I'd hate to come home and find out someone broke in and stole it.

Hi Ryan,

Nice Babe Ruth single-signed balls can bring $25,000+. I'm not sure what this one's worth, because condition can make a huge difference, but I wouldn't be surprised if it brought that or more at auction with buyer's premium. 

Rick,

Congratulations, that's a nice ball and great prize. I'm not well-versed on Babe Ruth balls, but I think that you could net $15,000+ after commissions in a good auction. Goldin Auctions has a Babe Ruth auction this summer, and it would be valuable to talk to them. And you'll have no problem finding good dealers who would be interested in taking it on consignment (not for auction). 

If you need other suggestions, let me know and I can reply here, or privately if you private message me.

Really made my day to see your good fortune.

Thanks Steve, I appreciate an honest opinion. I don't have any experience on Babe Ruth auto balls but looking at what they sold for on EBAY and at major auctions I was thinking around the same price.  I have seen plenty of balls that you could hardly see the auto go for 4k or more. The fact that the ball has only his signature on it makes it worth more than if it was his and a bunch of other guys. I may try that Goldin Auctions, but elaborate on what you mean by the dealers taking it on consignment. Thanks again Steve!!

Consignment means the dealer doesn't buy it upfront, but tries to sell it for you in the price range you both agree on. That eliminates risk for the dealer, and he'll generally work on a much smaller profit margin. You may not get as much as you'd get at auction, but you also know the minimum it would sell for, if it sells; and it may sell more quickly.

You can generally set a reserve at an auction house, as well, to protect you in case the ball doesn't bring what you want, but you generally have to pay a commission based on the reserve price. Every auction house has its own rules.

If you aren't in a rush and have a highly desirable item, the right auction will often bring the highest price, unless the market is bad.

Thanks Steve, I agree the auction is probably the best bet unless I find someone who really wants it. Thanks again.

The problem is, Rick, with high end collectibles such as this, you get into grading. It all started with the coin collecting hobby. It was not enough to have an 1879 Morgan silver dollar; they differed in value depending on condition. Same thing with baseball cards. A crease here, slightly off centered photo, or a ding there takes X amount of a pecentage off of what a perfect, mint condition card would be priced at. Autographs have gotten the same way. Is it a full signature that says Jimmy Carter, or is it signed J. Carter? Did the pen skip? Is the signature smugged or bubbled? What color is the ink? And so on. You know it's real, so you're past the first hurdle. Now your next step is to grade it. PSA would do that for you for a price. Then, depending on the grade, that should give you a little better prospective on price. $2,000 - $4,000 I know seems kind of low to you, but you have to consider Ryan's prospective a little. In his opinion, the autograph is not very strong, but someone else might think differently. I see Ryan's point about this Ruth isn't as bold a signature as others, but it's still a nice ball. I personally would price it between $5,000 low end, and $10,000 high end. You also need to condsider your market area. If you were here in the Atlanta area, you would be getting offers from anywhere between $1,500 to $3,000, because people here in Atlanta want nice things, but don't want to pay for them. I was at a sports memorabilia show about 3 years ago and Hall of Famer Bruce Sutter was there signing autographs for $35, and people were complaining about, "...how rediculously over priced that was." LOL! You know how many people who collect baseball autographs would have killed to have the chance to get an in-person autograph of Bruce Sutter, a chance to meet and greet with him and ask him questions about his career, and then have a nice photo opp with him, for $35? But that's the ATL for ya. Now you take this ball to a New York, Boston, St. Louis, or Chicago area where they have been playing baseball for over 125 years, you would get offers that are considerably more. Definately use a reputable auction house to sell this. I hope this made sense to you, and maybe shed some light on your questions. In the mean time, just enjoy the piece and have fun showing it off. I would! :)

Thanks Jeffery, I understand how market area can effect the price depending on where you try to sell it, and agree that if it was graded it would bring more. I may check into the grading and see if it is worth getting it done. Thanks.

It is obviously a nice single signed Ruth baseball. Keep in mind it is not on an Official American League Baseball which hurts it a little because most serious Ruth collectors want the autograph on an Official ball. Having said that, the ball is still very valuable.

I would agree with an auction estimate of $15K if run in a major auction house. Keep in mind that there are usually multiple single signed balls in various condition in major auctions which can hurt any individual sale. There are no guarantees in auctions. You need at least 2 serious bidders but I think you would have many bidders for this ball.

I think PSA/DNA would grade the autograph 6-7 and the ball probably 6 or so which would likely help the value. Since it is already authenticated, they would likely grade it and issue a new LOA for $100 or so which is probably worth the money to do.

You might try it on Ebay with a buy it now of $20,000 and see if you get any hits. You would have a couple thousand dollars in fees but you will have fees at least that much if you run it in a major auction. I don't think it will bring $20K but it is certainly possible. 

If you want to keep it and display it, you can purchase a collectibles insurance policy for a couple hundred dollars a year which would cover the replacement value if it was stolen.

Really a nice hit in the contest. Congrats.

Thanks William for the advice. I am torn between keeping it and selling it, but thanks for the input.

Thanks Randy, I appreciate the honest advice.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service