We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

A Beatles-signed, uninscribed promotional photo with Pete Best is being auctioned this week at Iconic. Described as taken at the Cavern Club in 1962, it was reportedly signed in mid-1962, shortly before Best was replaced by Ringo. 

It comes with a Frank Caiazzo LOA from 2003 and a letter of provenance from the seller back then. Caiazzo's LOA says this about the rarity:

All four members have signed in full above their respective image in black fountain pen. This photo was signed in mid-1962. Photos of The Beatles with Pete Best signed on the front are extremely rare. Sets in any form with Pete Best, which are not inscribed to anyone, are extremely rare.

Iconic's listing says:

After extensive research, we have been unable to find any image signed on the front by the original four, let alone a set that wasn't personalized featuring Best.

The 2003 letter of provenance from the seller in Canada says the photo was given to a friend of his by a relative who got it signed at the Cavern Club in 1962. The friend gave it to him in 1981.

The photo is 8.5 x 6.5. There's a crease, but otherwise looks to be in nice shape. 

I think it's a very cool, very rare piece. I've never seen anything like it...have you?

Tags: autographs, beatles, beatles-signed, best, cavery, club, pete, photo

Views: 2668

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

At today money seems a fair price imo....these signatures are a rare as hens teeth....but....sadly I will not be buying them

yes.....also with zero feedback.....that always makes me nervous

Looks like it stalled at $15,700. Not sure what happened with the ebay auction.

Tracks has a promo card with the same image and says the photo was taken on April 5, 1962.

http://www.tracks.co.uk/acatalog/info-8792.html

Those photo cards were given out on Fan club night,April 5th at the Cavern.

Thanks, you're right...I misread their listing. Here's what Tracks says about the photo:

The photograph was taken by Merseyside photographer Albert Marrion at his Wallasey Studio on 10th December 1961. The session was done as a friendly gesture for Brian Epstein.

IT IS PERSONALIZED TO susan. I have seen a tour program personalied to susan. Probably same person.  Wonder who Susan was?

Here's a signed (minus Pete) Mersey Beat newspaper ad for that show. The free photos are mentioned.

Current bid $14,272. Auction closes in 4 hours or so.

Wow,keep us updated.

High bid still $14,272 with a little more than an hour to go.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service