We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hi Everyone,

I bought this programme for Bowie's Paintings and Sculpture art exhibition on eBay a few months ago and was just wondering whether the signature was authentic?

Best wishes,

Ethan

Tags: Bowie, David, authentic

Views: 592

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Real. All at the Cork St. Exhibition in London were signed in red marker pen.

Hi Richard, 

Thanks for that! I can invest in a proper frame for it now.

Genuine. Chertavian Gallery, Cork Street, London April 1995. Estimated 1000 printed with app 250-500 signed. Sold in clear plastic bag for 25 GBP. Sale 2016 ranging $150-$800

As I recall yours from March has the fugitive ink and water damage:

They were signed with 2 very different red pens - 1 was a fugitive red pen that shows hairlines scratches as the ink just laid in the high gloss surface. A very few, the minority by far, were signed in a different and much more permanent red marker that did not have this problem.

Here is my example:

Ink details (fugitive ink bottom 2):

Thanks Eric, great to know the story of it. Loving your example too!

Ethan

Hi Ethan,

looking at yours again against the original auction photo and knowing the ink is fugitive, maybe framing is not a good idea? It seems a bit faded already?

Hi again Eric,

Aah, I see your point. It seems a bit of a shame to leave it in a drawer though...Maybe I'll put it in an album? Would that keep it relatively safe?

Hi Ethan,

That might be best - out of sunlight. That print/wallpaper- the "man in the green box" on the cover - that is called "Conflict" and was one of Bowie's favorite works.

Here is the poster for the show:

Hi Eric

That's what I'll do then. Very interesting about "Conflict"! I see Bowie signed posters for the show as well? 

Just out of interest, I'm not planning on selling it or anything but what would be a rough estimate of the value of my slightly faded signature? Just to make sure I didn't overpay majorly for it.

Hi Ethan,

Well, I recall what you paid (you certainly did not overpay IIRC), but what is the extent of the water damage? I see the signature is  scratched but not as bad as some.

As far as value, it would be north of $250 and under $450 I would guess, taking condition into account. It is very hard to say - the absolute flood of forgeries has affected the price of the genuine article right now. Without the fading/scratching/water damage I would not hazard a guess. These are quite scarce - I expect there were perhaps 400 or less signed, maybe 250. As he completed over 5,000 works, no Bowie collection is complete without some form or art to represent that achievement - this program we have is a great example.

Ethan,

Why not have a good color scan made and frame that?

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service