We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

David Bowie Signed Art Gallery Program and Self Portait Flat 1995

Hi All,

A new Bowie autograph I am very excited about - and not directly music related. An 8" x 8" color program from The Gallery, 28 Cork Street, London. Signed and dated boldly in red ink. I really like how the color scheme of the catalog is echoed in the Outside flat which is a modified self portrait from 1995. This was Bowie's first ever solo art exhibition "Paintings and Sculpture 1975-1995", April 18-29, 1995. A Private Viewing was held on April 19th 6-8pm by invitation. Guests included: Damien Hirst, Hanif Kureishi, Roger Taylor, Jeremy Irons, Janet Street Porter, Gary Kemp, Alan Yentob, Peter Howson, Kristina Amadeus (David's cousin), Jeremy Thomas (Producer of Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence film) and Leslie Conn (David's first manager). Two paintings were purchased by The Saatchi Gallery, and three others went into important British collections. I hope you like this new pairing - they are shown to scale below (click to see full image/enlargement). I wanted something very unusual and attractive with some color and contrast on something more "personal" than a photo or the like. I can't see there being a huge amount of these.

Eric

Views: 534

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello again,

Does anyone have preference of one display over another?

I wanted something nice, unusual, neat (for Bowie), with some handwriting too, and on something interesting - not a magazine clipping or napkin or unmakarked 2nd gen photo. No bank breaking either. I came up with this Tonight Show ticket and the 1993 promotional flat for the album he'd just finished to go with it for display. It is right smack in the middle of his career - no more characters, finding himself, after the genius of the 70's, the awful flops of the later 80's and right as he is starting work on Outside with Eno and all that would came after in the 90's and beyond. He had just married Iman, the Mercury Tribute was the year before, and on this album Bowie worked with Mick Ronson of the Spiders for the last time, Reeves Gabrels for the first time, and Mike Garson (also of the Spiders) who played with him until 2006 (as well as with the Pumpkins). This album debuted at No. 1 and was his last such debut until 2013. The video EP Black Tie/White Noise was shot 2 days earlier, on May 8th.

This Tonight Show performance was May 10th, 1993 and there is a clip of the song Bowie performed that you can see on YouTube. I hope you like this little set.

Here are my criterion:

In no order here are some things I think about (Genuine/affordable/desirable are given):

Original/virgin /untrimmed photo/item (no tape, folds spots, restoration etc – considering item/age/other factors)?

Vintage as possible?

Is the autograph contemporary to the item/photograph or added later?

Best condition possible (considering above etc.)?

Best quality photo (1st generation/original release/candid)/”Official” item”/product (album, CD, ticket, promo, key photo etc.)?

Best inscription (if any possible)/dedication/dated?

Fountain, ballpoint or fiber/felt? Pencil?

Optimal contrast/placement? Ink color clash with item/image?

Clear example/preferably no smudging from signing/fading/etc.?

What else can I buy with this amount of $?

Recent auction/sale results for like material?

Is the signature interesting/unusual/unique without the photo/item?

Frequency of items with comparable presentation?

Comparison to similar for quality - mediocre or exceptional?

How does this fit in with other items I have collected using similar criterion? Display?

It the item is too big? Small? Is the autograph lost or overpowering?

Best wishes,

Eric

Bumped for the evening crowd.

Eric

Well heck, I think this is over the moon.

E

Sold, long ago. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service