We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Here are three signed contracts between The Doors and Elektra Records. As you can see, two of these are identical pages from an October 1968 contract. The other is a page from a February 1970 contract. Although the signatures are all clearly different, I find them to be very similar in appearance.

I'd like to point out that the other signature on each of these contracts is that of Elektra President Jac Holzman. On each of the two 1968 contracts, Holzman has signed above Lawrence Harris' printed name. Harris was also an Elektra executive at that time.

A few things that I find particularly unusual in comparing the signatures are the second "r" and second "o" in "Morrison", and the "n" in "John."

Thoughts?

Tags: autographs, contracts, doors, elektra, gotta, have, holzman, jac, jim, morrison, More…ocher2007, rock, roll, signatures

Views: 6481

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hadn't seen one of these fake signed contracts offered at auction for quite some time. Unfortunately, one is set to be included in an upcoming Heritage auction. This one includes a three-legged "R" in Ray's signature(!). It also shows the same previously seen flaw in John's signature. Another contract with this same flaw was inspected by a TPA, who said the following:
The paper is not correct for the era and the form which should have typed (as that is a typewriter font) is a color copy.  The type over the whole contract, both pages is pixilated like a color copier does...
I'm glad to see that this contract has been removed from the auction.

It’s a shame that these contracts are still appearing on the market, especially this one which just sold for about $5,800 from Gotta Have Rock and Roll Auctions. This contract (which is the first one pictured in the OP) was previously offered by Gotta Have Rock and Roll Auctions in 2012 where it received no bids. It was subsequently offered by another auction house, but was removed from sale mid-auction due to authenticity concerns. This is the contract referenced above that was found to be a fake after an in-person examination by a professional TPA who stated the following:

The paper is not correct for the era and the form which should have typed (as that is a typewriter font) is a color copy. The type over the whole contract, both pages is pixilated like a color copier does...it looks to have been traced from another contract.

https://gottahaverockandroll.com/The_Doors_Signed___Initialed_1968_...

The sale was cancelled. Thanks to everyone who helped!

Thank YOU, Ballroom. I don't see anyone here but you regarding this.

Thanks, Steve, but I had help with it. I wasn’t able to get it removed by myself.

+1!

Here's one that was posted in a separate discussion:https://live.autographmagazine.com/group/doors/forum/topics/doors-s...

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service