We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Honeymooners Vintage Set C. 1952-1958 w Unpublished REHEARSAL PHOTOS (!) Confirmed Early Gleason Secretarial

**Updated 11.29.15 Gleason noted as early secretarial**

Hello All,

Here is my Honeymooners cast set - mid 50's - I saw that Gleason secretarial thing/thread - I believe this is genuine or some sort of early secretarial. You? All in matching ink - some sent and dated others not - Meadows and Randolph addressed the Reverses trying to look like another hand (secretaries) - but it is them surely. Took a long time to assemble - Trixie especially, Alice and even Norton tough in vintage form. The CBS publicity photo of Gleason is date-stamped 1955 for release and marked well for publication to advertise this "new" series. Nice to have him in character. The last images - just NOT common. Gleason claimed he never rehearsed. Of course, that is nonsense - he went through as least one blocking - but he did not do more. This shows him quite involved. Holding a script? Heh. He said never - yet here he is holding one.** If you know these characters - you essentially know what they are saying here from body language alone. I had three other sheets I sold - all but this - many 35 mm contact prints but this was the best. In one sheet Meadows was extremely angry, seemingly about smoking (?) on set, or maybe lines/blocking. This was in a hotel -a fake kitchen set mind you) and Gleason calmed here with a sweet kiss ALA "Baby, you're the greatest". which you can see here - such tenderness in that embrace. This is a gem. These images show the very last b/w episode-in 1965/66, and the last appearance of Meadows as Alice Kramden until about 1977. These pictographs were taken the day before New Years, 1965 as I recall. Do you like these?

Had the pleasure of discussing the creation and production of this show with Joyce Randolph at a private performance of Billy Elliot - she told me "...even the girl who held the stopwatch, you know, because we actually had 15 minute reels, and broke, has died. I am all there is now..." She still called Gleason "Mr. Gleason", and had jewelry he gave her on even now. She signed for me as well. Older, not as ordered, but same elements remain of course.

You can find her in Sardi's many nights - not as many as before of course as she is like 90 now- she likes White Cadillac's though, and will talk and sign and tell the old stories. Sweet lady. Class act. Lady. TV legend. NEVER did I think I woulds get to chat with her about making this show which I watched with my dear old Dad on channel 11 WPIX in NY in the 70's at 11:30. Right before Star Trek and The Twilight Zone. 

As an aside, I met the first Trixie Norton as well - Elaine Stritch, but had nothing for her to sign and she did not seem to...quite recall creating the role.  

So, secretarial Gleason? I say clearly maybe not, "Jocky" aside. That "j"...I see much in common re structure/formation/creation with the What's My Line signature, although 2 feet tall ;). Really interested in opinions.

As usual, any and all opinions welcome and appreciated.

Best wishes,

Eric

** Sorry, my mistake - that is in other 35mm frames of this sheet but you can see he has his glasses from reading the script.

Views: 521

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello All again.

I forgot the first Alice - Pert Kelton. Supposedly blacklisted for Communist activities, I don't know. Gleason did fire or cancel  her but claimed it was because of a heart condition. 1950 Blue Fountain pen on textured album page with affixed photo trim. Remember she played Alice's mother once - Ralph's  mother in-law!

Best wishes,

Eric

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Hi All,

I think that Gleason is just fine  - the others are certainly genuine (if the Randolph is skipped ballpoint (1958?) OK but she is TOUGH in vintage form I find) but with all that secretarial talk about Gleason and only few images in that post I am looking forward to some opinions. Always looking to learn here. Once I was told that these early 3.5x5' are the only genuine ones - that all the 70's are secretarial. I know some of these are bad. I know his signature was more "scrawly" in 1942-1946 or so. By 1949/50 the first lower case "j" seems to have found its place. The backwards and lops in the "ack" are also present. And the form and relationship of the "s". What say you?

Best wishes,

Eric

The Honeymooners-My favorite show of all-time.

I actually own three short letters that Joyce Randolph wrote to me and mailed to me over the years.

Every year in October, I send her a birthday card.

About eight years ago, I sent her a letter asking her a question about The Honeymooners, and she actually called me on the phone and we spoke for about ten minutes.  She was awesome on the phone.

That is incredible Christopher.  It is my favorite show of all time as well.  "Hello, ball!"

Thanks, Mike. 

Ms. Randolph is an incredibly sweet person.

Check out the below, Mike.

That is awesome Christopher!  I love how actors/actresses from the older shows are truly humble when fans write or meet them.  The Honeymooners and All in the Family will always be up there as my favorites; shows that you can watch every episode and still laugh at 

That is awesome Christopher.  Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, Mike.

Looking at your avatar, Mike, , I once again watched the movie "Vertigo" the other day.

Christopher, that is so cool.  I have also written to Ms. Randolph in the past and she was very responsive.  

Eric, unfortunately I can't answer your question about authenticity. The Carney and Randolph certainly are consistent with later signatures.

Nice looking set. Great show. 60+ years later and still funnier than most of the garbage sitcoms these days.

Hi Steve,

Not much of a question re the Gleason but that secretarial article had me wondering a bit as it should. So I was asking for others to post non 194-1949 scrawly examples. I have been advised these 3.5x5 with this signature is his and all else are secretarial. I've tracked certain characteristics from the 40's to 60's - same hand IMHO. Carney and Randolph are genuine and typical IMHO.

Thanks,

Eric

I've probably watched every episode at least 100 times.

Eternally funny.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service