We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Old guy seems legit. Bought it from a very reputable dealer in Vegas who died about 6 years ago. BUT, I sent a pic to Global Authentics (they offer a quick opinion for $10) and they came back with a negative.  So crap. I doubt $10 got me more than a glance at it, but still, it has no COA and I don't want to buy if I can't get someone reputable to say it's authentic, just in case i ever had to liquidate.  So, anyone on here know Eddie VH signature really well? It says Van Halen 07 under the signature and by the way, who would butcher that part so badly if they were doing a fake?  Just a thought.  Any help would be appreciated.

Views: 1698

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What did you hear, Jeff?

Another no from Roger Epperson.  Still on the fence about it.  I called the guitar shop and talked to a guy who has worked there for 20 years.  He was able to pull up this guy's file and they had him down as a great, serious collector and a very good client.  Had him down for buying a couple custom guitars Ed Roman made him.  No record of the VH guitar but he never said he bought that one, he said Ed gave that one to him for a mistake he made on one of the custom guitars. The guy that worked there for 20 years said that if Ed Roman said it was a signed Eddie VH guitar, then it was a signed Eddie VH guitar.  He had the contacts to acquire just about any signature he wanted and certainly would have no motive to make a fake, considering he had been making really expensive custom guitars for all kinds of famous people for years and years, and had a very lucrative business.  I don't know.  The seller is just an old man now who talked my head off about rock and roll for an hour when I called him and all the bands he's seen and about all the guitars he had until his wife and he decided he needed to sell his 70+ guitar collection to help build their last house.  These two opinions are the only thing holding me up because I believe the guy and his source and everything about the story, and these two opinions cost me all of $25 so I know neither person looked at it long.  And if you google Eddie VH signature you will see about 50 different renditions of it so I'm just bummed.  Want to buy, think it's authentic, but have these 2 cheap opinions saying no.  So still on hold.  Did get a yes on a chris cornell who I am still so pissed at for his BS and a Slash, so i bought those to make me feel better in the short term.  But the VH is what I want.  

Roger is very respected. The rest of your post is not really relevant. If you believe the entire story and the seller and disbelieve known and accepted experts of great reputation...well...you do not know what the $25 got you really. Esp from Roger. Should be spelled correctly right? Where is the "E"? That sig has obvious problems.

Do Not underestimate Roger. You will believe what you want - that is certain. What proof do you have it is authentic - tangible and not words/hearsay whatever? Why doesn't it look real? Shouldn't it?? What independent evidence have you collected - what exemplars that show this to be a style Van Halen signed in? And the slants ands number of strokes is wrong. The lack of an "E"?

I know I had a guitar signed by Eddie and the signature didn't look like most of what I've Seen. Hell the guy was most likely drunk. I'm not saying it's real, I'm saying it came from a very respected source and Eddie doesn't spell out his whole name after his first few years from what I've seen. I won't buy it if I can't get someone reputable to say it's authentic but some people have to be harder than others to tell becsuse of so many different examples. I believe the old man believes it's real. I know he got it from a very reputable person. I know the signature I had didn't look like any of the ones I've looked at online, exactly. I know I'm frustrated at the whole industry. Forgers should have their hands chopped off like in other countries where punishments are harsh and crime is low.

Well, I am comfortable listening to Rogers formidable opinion and vast experience and am often guided by it, when needed. I also seek it for assistance when I have a question or uneasy feeling with a signature. Indispensable to me and others. Making arguments "maybe was was drunk" - those things are music to forgers ears. As far as what you said - a respectable person has already said it is not real - not just anyone. He is among the tops. Who said they got it when means little to naught. It must look like it is supposed to.

you have a signed VH that looks like it was signed drunk, and even though it is drunkenly distorted, you got if from "respected source"

good luck if you need to sell

... The guy that worked there for 20 years said that if Ed Roman said it was a signed Eddie VH guitar, then it was a signed Eddie VH guitar.  He had the contacts to acquire just about any signature he wanted and certainly would have no motive to make a fake, considering he had been making really expensive custom guitars for all kinds of famous people for years and years, and had a very lucrative business..."

Anyone believing this?

"...These two opinions are the only thing holding me up because I believe the guy and his source and everything about the story, and these two opinions cost me all of $25 so I know neither person looked at it long.  And if you google Eddie VH signature you will see about 50 different renditions of it so I'm just bummed.  Want to buy, think it's authentic, but have these 2 cheap opinions saying no..."

Roger Epperson is just not a "cheap opinion." He has been doing this for 30 years, or so or so. 

If I were you I would be on a mission to finds as many certified genuine exemplars that support this signing style. That is your best bet. Bear in mind, Roger has been doing this since - the late 80's or so

PS - You seller has a vested agenda - Roger has NONE here.

Wish I still had my old one to see what these experts say. But I don't cause I finally boxed it up and sent it to his publicist hoping for a re-sign. Better than looking at a ruined signature and getting pissed off about it.
You couldn't make out anything on the one I got signed and yet I've seen exemplars where his name is almost spelled out.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service