We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Thought I'd share my involved quest to obtain one nicely-signed Jerry Lee Lewis album through the mail sent in care of his ranch.

The first album/signature, pictured below, is one I've shared on the forum previously. I received it April 21, 2014 when the charge was $50. The feedback here at the time was that the signature was legit, but maybe the personalization was in someone else's handwriting.

The second one I received back on April 18, 2016 after including the current $100 charge. I asked him to only sign his name and he added the "God Bless You" inscription on his own. The inscription looks nice, but unfortunately his signature was "mushy." Worse, the album was returned with a razor-like cut across it. I suspect it was sliced when the package was opened on JLL's end.  

I quickly sent one more request, explaining that my previous request did not come out so well and the album was damaged with the cut. I included two albums, another $100 and sent it in care of his wife, Judith. I wrote her that all I was looking for one nicely-signed album and that the second album I included could be used to try again if the first one didn't come out great and/or signed as a "make-up" for the previously-received damaged album. I also requested once again for JLL to sign only his name. I received these two albums back signed, personalized and with the "God Bless You" inscription again.   

In each case, I included a black Sharpie. I find it incredibly weird that while the ink flowed fine on all of the personalizations and inscriptions, it didn't flow so well on JLL's signature on four items over the course of three requests made over two years. I don't think I could get a Sharpie to run like that even if I tried. 

Views: 852

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmm that is an interesting observation on the ink flow of the inscriptions vs the signature.  

I thought you asked for no personalization what so ever?  yes?  

Mark

Yes, in each case I requested JLL sign simply his name.

All I can think of is that Jerry simply didn't use your Sharpie(s) at all. The inscriptions were probably added separately, and he just signed the albums along with others in a larger batch.

You probably get a darker dedication because he has to write that slower and more carefully with the recipient's name. Once he gets to his signature, he rips through that without having to think... signed much faster, hence it's lighter and streakier.

Agreed. Good explanation. Also, notice that the unusual formation of the "D" in Dave is similar across three examples, with examples of "To" in both cursive and block lettering.

good points!

Mark

While there is some streaking in the inscriptions, the difference to the signatures is huge. In addition to speed, he must have used way more pressure to stunt the ink flow to that extent each time.

Sharpies aren't that great, but a new one should be able to keep up better than that, unless the surface of the album itself was really rough.

All of the albums were like-new original Sun albums purchased from an eBay seller, who got them in a warehouse find. I considered the ink flow may have had something to do with the surface of the album, but I don't think that's the issue since the personalizations and inscriptions came out okay. I think Steve's explanation makes sense.

I hate to open a can of worms on Jerry Lee Lewis again, but what are your opinions on the authenticity of the writing? It seems that the signatures are good. If someone was forging them I've got to believe they'd make 'em come out better than that. I'm not as sure about the authenticity of the personalizations and inscriptions, but, after receiving four of them that are pretty consistent, I'm leaning toward them being good as well.

I just wish one of the signatures came out better. It's too bad a simple request to just sign a name can't be honored when you're paying $100. As I mentioned, I just wanted one good one. I want to frame one to go with with the Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley and Little Richard albums I have signed. I'll probably frame one of the last two.    

I think there's a way to tell if the personalization is in JLL's hand. The "D" in "To Dave" is extremely distinctive with a finishing straight line across the top of the "D." Anyone have a matching "D" for JLL, or for Judith for that matter?    

This is totally written in the hand of Jerry Lee Lewis.  For reference.

THIS image and check is owned by me and is not to be used on another site, other than live.autographmagazine.com  I am stating this in writing.  05/10/2016 - Mark Roberts

Thanks, Mark. That check was written more than 50 years ago, but you can certainly see the similarities in the "G", "B" and "d".

It seems like it's safe for everyone interested in paying $100 to send to him at the moment.

Does anyone happen to have a better quality example of this image? It's signed "To Danny."

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service