We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Has there ever been a nicer, more humble, more fan friendly superstar than Johnny Cash?

Johnny was the Babe Ruth of Country Music—the top-ranking Country artist of all time and the most loved. And Johnny loved his fans as much as they love him. So while like the Babe, Cash signed untold numbers of autographs, the supply could never meet demand...and probably never will.

Fans who couldn't meet Cash in person often requested autographs through the mail. The common belief is that he personally autographed those requests. But between his demanding touring schedule and later, his failing health and vision, it seems impossible that he could have signed even half of the mail he received.

A growing number of collectors and dealers now believe that many if not most Johnny Cash through the mail autographs were secretarial. We want to see if we can identify any secretarial styles, and at the same time build a reference collection of no-question genuine Cash exemplars to help identifying forgeries.

Are There Johnny Cash Secretarials?
If So, How Do We Identify Them?
Help Find Out!

You can be an important part of the study in three ways:

1. Upload into this discussion images of Johnny Cash autographs that you personally received through the mail, and tell us when you received them. (The year is fine, but if you know the date, even better.)
  2. Upload images of Johnny's autographs that YOU saw signed by Johnny yourself. Include the date or at least year, too. If you didn't see it signed yourself (like pre-signed ones sold or given away at shows), please don't upload it.
  3. As more and more images are uploaded, see if you can identify characteristics that are commonly found on Johnny's through the mail autographs that are rarely if ever seen on ones signed in person.

With your help, we can identify Cash secretarials if they're out there. Over time this should increase the value of genuine Johnny Cash autographs, and help protect future fans and collectors against autographs that aren't authentic. 

Once we finish this phase of the study, we'll go on to identifying genuine Johnny Cash autographs from forgeries.

Let's go!

Tags: Johnny, autographs, cash, genuine, mail, secretarial, the, through

Views: 50699

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow! Set this up as a separate discussion please. You can show the images by clicking the picture box next to "LINK" on the edit bar.

Julien's Auctions had a Johnny Cash auction in December. I was there and there was a lot of remarkable material consigned by the Cash family and no doubt Bill Miller. 

Here's a link to the catalog and prices realized files.

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2010/johnny-cash/index.html

Like I said, JC items aren't cheap :)  I'm tickled to see the prices some of that stuff garnered. To me the only music that matters is Johnny Cash & Waylon Jennings. Everything else is either good noise or bad noise.
Who is that person, Brandon?
I'll let you guys research that :)
We thought we would ask the experts.. ;)
Hi. I got these two signed photos from my aunt who passed away a few years ago. She was a big fan of Johnny Cash and I know she had meet him a few times from photos she showed me. I don't know when thes where signed but she had these for many years on her wall in her house. Can you say if they are real or not. Thank you. And happy Christmas. John
Attachments: No photo uploads here
GO HERE---they want 8,900.00 for this Johnny Cash 'signed" acoustic...that autograph..that has NO real COA..looks BAD ..opinions?
What YEAR did page sign the guitar..the date that ELITE states LED ZEPP signed guitars was 2006 or 2007....I have asked and so have many others PLANT to sign anything and he will only sign his SOLO lps..no ZEPP stuff..and NO pickguards of guitars...was this a private signing? Page..he wont evenstop to sign anymore...runs into hotels the few times you can actually find him.  I dont know any in person collector who got PAge in several years.
 Uh yeah..OK....JAMZ from metallica is extremly NOT into signing ANY guitars anymore..he turned me down FLATLY at the airport. he took a photo with me--and I told him he could personalzie the guitar and he said NOOO.   Several members of Aerosmith will NOt sign guitars anymore due to ebay (JOey kramer for one)...PLANT is absoultely NOt signing ZEPP albums or guitars anymore--he made that cleat. Page--I think he has had it--no more signing anything. EBAY is as you say--been a bad thing for collectors who actually LIKE the music of the bands they get signatures from. I dont know about getting 100 graphs out of anyone..but The point is right on--todaymost rockers will sign ONE item--not a stack of albums...that's just the way it is.
YES--I SAW those JH awful signatures on some real signed guitars up on ebay--I have a FULL signature on an Eletric...I have to get rthat gutiar restored..working on it..signed in 1991 JAMZ werote "F** IT ALL UP JAMZ " very cool..the ywere COOL till about 3 or 4 years ago...then JAMZ got mean,  I am glad I got him when he was being cool.  I have several items signed by the 3 (no JAMZ)so they cant be sold..he was NOT doing those pick guards for me . SO they have 3 members and without JAMZ it is woth...well--who's buying it? No one. I have NEVER had a problem with  KIRK--always nice to me--same for RObert AND jason when I found him. LARS..sometimes signs for me. JAMZ is a big ZERO now.  I have pics with evety member of metallica...and austographs--but getting JAMZ to sign a guitar now--is a very unpleasant experience...it is not going to happen (except at a record signing with his FAN CLUB members at the front row)....thanks for the info.
Only info I have is --he just  did a record with Tony Ieome  ian gillian !!! I need JASON as well on SEVERAL unfinsihed old items...i need him just as bad as you do!!

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service