The 1968 Rosemary's Baby was in many ways the beginning of the modern horror movie with realistic everyday situations. Probably to some younger horror fans it is a disappointment not to see blood and guts splattering the camera lens in every other scene. To my way of thinking the movie is successful for the actors and actresses whose performances were flawless. The movie is very faithful to the book and some of the dialogue is verbatim. The description of some of the characters differ somewhat from the book especially Rosemary and Minnie. I ended up with a long ALS by Ruth Gordon so that kind of got me started. Angela Dorian (aka Victoria Vetri) was relatively new and interesting. Her autograph is somewhat scarce and her imprisonment for attempted murder made headlines a couple years ago. I know some have said they will not watch the movie because of Roman Polanski. I do not even think about him when I watch it. The actors are the reason I enjoy the movie. There is a long list of unsavory Hollywood celebrities there would be little to watch if only saints made movies.   Van Johnson and Joan Crawford would have had cameos had their scene not been cut.  The actors and actresses that appear either in the opening or closing credits are as follows:

Mia Farrow             Rosemary Woodhouse
John Cassavetes    Guy Woodhouse
Ruth Gordon         Minnie Castevet
Sidney Blackmer     Roman Castevet
Maurice Evans        Edward "Hutch" Hutchins
Ralph Bellamy         Dr. Abraham "Abe" Sapirstein
Victoria Vetri         Terry (Credited as Angela Dorian)
Patsy Kelly            Laura-Louise
Elisha Cook, Jr.         Mr. Nicklas (as Elisha Cook)
Charles Grodin         Dr. C. C. Hill
Hanna Hertelendy     Grace Cardiff (Credited as Hanna Landy)
Phil Leeds              Dr. Shand (Credited as Philip Leeds)
Hope Summers         Mrs. Gilmore
D'Urville Martin       Diego the elevator operator
Emmaline Henry      Elise Dunstan Rosemary's Girl Friend
Marianne Gordon     Rosemary's Girl Friend
Wende Wagner        Rosemary's Girl Friend (as Wendy Wagner)

Tags: Baby, Bellamy, Blackmer, Cassavetes, Evans, Farrow, Gordon, John, Maurice, Mia, More…Ralph, Rosemary's, Ruth, Sidney, Vetri, Victoria

Views: 600

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

GEORGE SAVALAS (1924-1985) best known as Det. Stavros on Kojak starring his brother Telly Savalas. There is little doubt the elder brother helped with his career.  The curly headed actor had earlier appeared with his brother in the Clint Eastwood classic Kelly's Heroes one of my favorites as "Mulligan."  He also appeared in the episode of Kolchak: The Night Stalker entitled "The Youth Killer."  One of his last movies was Kojak: The Belarus File.  Savalas appeared in an early episode of All in the Family entitled "Success Story."  He died at the age of 60. He played the workman with the brace and bit drilling a hole in a door in Rosemary's Baby.   His autograph is scarce this is a nice example on the blank part of a 3x5 lined index card probably from the 1970s.

GEORGE SAVALAS on the left.

TONY CURTIS (1925-2010) one of the biggest box office leading men of the 1950s and 60s.  Curtis could play drama or comedy with equal ability.  One of his biggest hits was with Jack Lemon and Marilyn Monroe in Some Like it Hot.  Of course other hits were Spartacus, The Boston Strangler and tons of others.  In 1968 his friend Roman Polanski asked him to help him play a joke on Mia Farrow.  Polanski thought it would be funny to have Curtis be on the other end of the line when Rosemary's talks to blinded actor Donald Baumgart.  Farrow for her part recognized the voice but could not place it.  Polanski liked her reaction so much he kept it in along with Tony's voice.   This is the front of a postcard postmarked 1954. 

Later on especially he used a secretary and the Tony would be above the Curtis.

RSS

© 2009-2017   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Community Manager.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service