We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

The 1950s and 60s were decades when Americans were fascinated with all things involving space travel. With the advent of sending men into orbit this increased the interest. In 1966 Gene Roddenberry created the television Sci-Fi adventure Star Trek. It was not an overnight success by any means. Syndication actually put it on the map since it attracted younger non-prime time viewers. Early Star Trek "conventions" were underway almost from the beginning with dedicated fans (mostly younger) showing their support. After the series was cancelled a cartoon series Star Trek: The Animated Series was created with all the major cast except for Walter Koenig providing voices. The lack of Koenig was apparently apparently a cost saving measure. Star Trek became my favorite Sci-Fi show surpassing my previous favorite of Lost in Space.  The series expanded to several movies with many of the original stars in the same roles.

Many Star Trek collectors concentrate on the seven or eight major actors/actresses that had recurring roles on the show. For my own collection I tend to expand that (as I tend to do with all my collections) to include some somewhat minor characters and also favorite guest stars. The ones included below are my idea of a good collection.

Unlike most on AML I tend to dislike multi-signed pieces this is due in part to the fact that I do not frame ans display. I prefer the notebook method. That is simply a matter of personal preference many friends have great framed "walls" of autographs. My list for "major" autographs are the first seven the remainder I like to have since they had identifiable roles on the show. The number after the name is the number of episodes according to imdb.

William Shatner (79) Capt. Kirk
Leonard Nimoy (80) Lcdr. Spock
DeForrest Kelley (76) Lcdr. Dr. McCoy
James Doohan (66) Lcdr. Scott  (One is credit only)
Nichelle Nichols (70) Lt. Uhura
George Takei (52) Lt. Sulu
Walter Koenig (36) Lt. Chekov
Majal Barrett (36) Nurse Chapel/computer voice
Grace Lee Whitney (8) Yoeman Janice Rand
John Winston (11) Lt. Kyle
Eddie Paskey (60) Lt. Leslie/others
David L. Ross (9) Lt. Galloway/others
Sean Morgan (7) Lt. O'Neill/others
Paul Baxley (10) Security/others

As for guests I merely add ones that were personal favorites of mine. Spock's parents played by Mark Lenard and Jane Wyatt are examples. John Fiedler, Elisha Cook, Jr.,William Schallert, Lee Bergere, William Campbell, Bruce Hyde, Stanley Adams, Roger Carmel, Ian Wolfe, Ken Lynch, Byron Morrow, James Gregory and many others are on my list.

As a collector I am more interested in the signature than the photograph it is on. While I like to have them on Star Trek items is not a necessity for me.

Tags: DeForrest, Doohan, George, James, Kelley, Koenig, Leonard, Nichelle, Nichols, Nimoy, More…Shatner, Star, Takei, Trek, Walter, William

Views: 5181

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very cool Steve! One of my favs! ;)

A LOT of these original series guest stars are still alive an well and still doing conventions. You'll see a good number of them doing the Hollywood Show in Burbank. My dad and I were both amused to see that the actor who played Apollo was going to be there.

Thanks Pete for the great examples! Did you get all of these at a convention IP?

These are from September 7&8, 1985, when he did one of his only (if not his only) Convention appearance. It took place in Denver, CO. The guests didn't have photos to sign, so the program was the main thing people seemed to have signed. Also in attendance were Lewis Smith (Heavenly Kid, Buckaroo Banzai, The North and the South), Robin Curtis (Saavik #2) & Robert Englund (V, Freddy Krueger)       

Any trek collectors have an extra grace lee Whitney to trade or sell. IV got ton of original series autographs. Its my favorite area to collect and my favorite show but IV yet to pick up grace and she's the only one of the main cast I need.

I would keep an eye on eBay to get one of her signed Star Trek cards.  They seem to go for $25-40 range though you might find one cheaper if you keep looking.  Older vintage stuff tends to be harder to find.

I am one of the Star Wars collectors that also loves Trek, there is not any real competition in my opinion, they are not competing but nicely co-existing in my collection. The major name that seems to be missing in this discussion in my opinion is...

I agree whole-heartedly Pete! I'm not sure why some consider it an either/or proposition, they're both completely different in my eyes!
Absolutely fantastic Roddenberry items btw!!!

Those are great Roddenberry signatures thanks for posting them Pete.  I especially love the older Star Wars movies having watched the first one at the local drive-in when it came out.  I would like to collect Star Wars but far too rich for my blood. That is the nice thing about Star Trek collecting that the prices are still affordable for all the major players. 

Here are three Montalban signatures as Khan:

• The top was purchased through Creation, so I think it's a safe bet. 
  • The middle through the mail - it has some similar traits to the Creation signed pic, but there are some differences too.
  • The bottom I also got through the mail and would have to assume it is secretary. 

Thanks for posting Pete.  The first one is great.  This is a 1947 example.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service