We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hi guys.

I have a favor to ask. I am considering buying this book privately. I was wondering if I can get an opinion on this signed book U2 by U2. Is there any experts who can render an opinion on it. It seems okay to me  from looking at other examples but I realize that this is also a band that we would see forged.

Roger if you see this can you please give me your thoughts. 

Thanks for your help.

David

Views: 6215

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi guys. 

I also came across this signed book but I am am not sure on this one either now. Can you please give me your thoughts on this one. Thanks. 

David - the signatures are absolutely right.

BUT, there are signature preprints on one of the first few pages of the book (i.e. "autographs" that EVERY book has!).  When I got my signed copy, the seller actually put a sticky note on the preprint page saying "Not this page!"  They do look similar to the real deal, as the band used gold paint pen for the Barnes and Noble signings.

Let me check my copies of the book when I get home this afternoon (I haven't opened that book in a long time).  I'm pretty sure those are the pre-prints though.

Okay. The seller told me they weren't sure as they are not the original owner but they felt that they look like original signatures. Thanks again for your help Richard. 

David

No problem.  Like I said, I'll check to be sure, but I'm almost certian those are the preprints. 

If you're still looking for a U2 by U2 book, here's a few things to keep in mind:

1)  When fans and in-person collectors have an opportunity to meet the fan and get their autograph, most have ticket stubs, CDs, album covers, posters and photos.  It doesn't seem like many haul around this coffee table book.  Just about every authentic example of a full-band signed book is from the 2006 Barnes & Noble books signings (by fan club invite only) in New York and the UK.

2) It's hard to find one that is not inscribed, but it is possible.  Plenty of ebay sellers crashed the event, as noted on fan blogs.  Many sellers removed inscriptions (which is quite noticable) before posting the ebay listing.  Bono and Larry liked adding the "Beautiful Ebay" incription for the people who were obviously not fans.

3) Right after the signings, ebay had quite a lot of these.  Authentic signed books went for $800 - $1500 if I remember correctly (I tried bidding for a while, until I realized how insane the prices were).  Most owners of authentic signed books might be hestitant to part with them for much less.  True fans who got the invite letter themselves are even less likely to sell them at all.

4) With the possible exception of Bono, the band signed these books pretty consistently.  Hence it's easier to spot a fake U2 signed book than a CD, album, photo, etc.  A number of fakes sprung up on ebay alongside the authentic ones, but the fakes were easier to spot.  Regardless, some of the fakes went for hundreds of dollars.

5)  I've seen a few otherwise decent dealers duped by these.  One dealer in the UK had three for sale - only one looked real.

I didn't buy it. Thanks.

Hi guys.

I came across this other item. What do you think of this one?

David

Nah, it's no good.  None of the sigs looks quite right, and the Bono is way off-base. 

The best part about band-signed items is that forgers tend to completely blow it on at least one of the forgeries.

Okay. I'll just have to be patient. I appreciate your help.

David

No problem.  As always, you might want to consult Roger for another opinion, but I wouldn't buy that at any price.

Yeah - at least it's a better attempt than that signed book, lol.

There's a certain seller out there who sells what I believe to be very competent full band-signed forgeries.  At first glance, one exmaple leaves you kind of scratching your head . . . pretty close.  Then when I've seen the other examples over the years, it's been more than apparent that the same person is signing all the albums and photos.

Agreed Mike Aring.

U2 is one of the toughest band to even get to, and then to get to sign. 

http://www.rockandrollcollection.com/catalog/index.php?act=viewProd...

This was signed in 1987 on The Joshua Tree tour here is L.A.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service