We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I thought this might be cool. Tell what concerts you are going to see. Let us know if you liked or disliked the show. Maybe show a picture, autograph, guitar pick, drumstick, or a cool story .

Views: 17837

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Ian,

yeah I am still kinda shocked at the whole thing, never expected that.  Your right its a very small place and pretty much noone at the concert looked like they were under 45. Al Stewart is awesome!  Really nice guy. As far as Cross there weren't many people that were by his bus, he could have been done in about 5 minutes and from what I saw from the other people, we all had one item to get signed I didn't see anyone with multiple items. At first I thought maybe he had to go to the bathroom really bad lol but that wasn't the case.  I'm also shocked he has a tour bus lol.  I don't know what was more pathetic the way he acted or me even wanting his autograph in the first place lol. I would have felt more pride if at least it was a pretty woman shooting me down, I've had plenty of experience with that, lol. 

Ride Like The Wind? I think his career is gone with it.

Hearing that U2's Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary Tour is fantastic. Without giving away too much, they play the classic album in their entirety (which wasn't even done on the original JT tour) while bookending the set with vintage and modern classics that likewise include some rarities.

Blondie ticket and autographed merchandise giveaway: https://www.toneden.io/blondie-1/post/blondie-pollinator-tour-giveaway

This year so far (2017) I've been to the final two Black Sabbath shows back home here in Birmingham. Iron Maiden in May. This weekend I'm going to see a great US R&B band called Vintage Trouble. In two weeks time I'm going to see veteran German Electronic-Music legends Kraftwerk and their new 3D show. In the summer I've got some mid 90's Indie bands - Sleeper, Bluetones, Space, Dodgy, Salad and My life Story. 

At the end of the summer I've got Dutch Prog rock legends Focus. At the moment I'm closing 2017 with some vintage rock from Alice Cooper, The Mission, The Tubes, Deep Purple and Europe. Plus a few more indie bands with Happy Mondays, Cast and Shed Seven. 

Could be some room for more...

It seems that this summer I´m going to take some break from concerts - first concert which I´m excited to see is going to be Queen ft. Lambert in November.

Regarding results from this year, as Deep Purple are my band number 1 it couldnt have been better first half of year. February - Glenn Hughes with his solo band, GREAT show (and he had cold!!!), brief meeting for autograph and taking picture with him before the show, another autograph after the show... then Don Airey with his band featuring stunning extra high-profile musicians like Carl Sentance (currently singer of Nazareth), stunning guitar player Simon McBride or bassplayer Laurence Cottle (played with Eric Clapton or recorded bass on Headless Cross album for Black Sabbath).... and again informal meet&greet after the show, pictures, autographs, taking some pics - another great evening.... and last week? Deep Purple themselves. Bought meet&greet package for that night, having nearly pro taken picture (DSLR and tripod) with four rock stars (Paice, Glover, Morse, Airey) at once is great souvenir! Stunning show and getting some more stuff signed (including their current great album Infinite and live album Live At Olympia) at their hotel and airport (including IG´s sign, he is avoiding fans for some time, so it´s pretty difficult to get his autograph now).... I cant wait to see them once again (I know it´s announced as long goodbye tour, but I believe that the word Long is more important than goodbye for now ;)).

Hey very jealous. I wish I'd bought a VIP package on the Purple tour as it's looking like it might be the last one. I missed Glenn Hughes also this year in the Midlands in UK but as he's from round here I'm sure he'll be back, plus the venue he usually plays is really easy to meet and talk and take photos and get autographs from the bands. 

This is tourbook (bought in merch store and signed by complete band before meet&greet "photo session"; please notice that by accident Steve signed the tourbook twice) and VIP merchandise (that beautiful collage).

Some other signed stuff, sadly missed Ian Paice just by few seconds, actually I even took photos of other fan with him and then he was forced to leave.... I missed his autograph. :(

Looks brilliant, very jealous. I;m going to see them in November but didn't get a VIP package. Ian Paice would be a good one with him being the only original member or at least the only person whose been in every line-up. I do have an autograph from Chris Curtis who was going to form Purple with Jon Lord before they ditched him for Paice. Mine comes from Chris Curtis from his days with The Searchers in early 1960s. 

On Wednesday, I finally got a chance to see Future Islands. They have some great music, and their lead singer Sam Herring is known for being the most relentlessly full throttle frontmen there is (Check out Future Islands' 2014 performance on Letterman, which attracted a ton of buzz both for the performance itself and Dave's especially enthusiastic reaction). Great show that really pulled the crowd in and never let them go. I was able to meet Sam and bassist William Cashion after the show.

On Sunday was U2 show #18 for me. I did wait by the lading area for the band, as Edge and Adam greeted fans Friday night, while Bono signed autographs on Saturday. But no luck this time. However, overall, they've been very good with signing on this tour (not counting the ever elusive Larry Mullen).

Okay, so this is a tough one to categorize, but I'll start with the positive. The Joshua Tree set (full album, performed in album track order) is awesome. Even songs the band has performed hundred of times over the past 30 years sound new and refreshed. And, despite it's legacy, many of these songs have not been performed much if at all the past three decades. This made the intense power behind long forgotten live songs like "Trip Through Your Wires" and, especially, "Exit" so surprising. That screen doesn't look like much when you enter the stadium, but once it fires up for "Where The Streets Have No Name," you'll see in all its 8K gloriousness how it enhances the show.

The mini sets that bookended the main Joshua Tree portion felt a bit pale in comparison. The show opens with Larry casually strolling down to the B-stage to The Pogues' "Rainy Night in Soho" and launching into Sunday Bloody Sunday. The rest of the band quickly joined him in an intimate (if that's the right word for a stadium crowd) that included a few songs from Joshua Tree predecessors "War" and "The Unforgettable Fire." It was a good set, but it was strange to see some classic songs pale a bit in contrast to the majestic Joshua Tree set that followed.

What is less forgivable was the ending, which felt forced and anti-climactic. While the show opened with some vintage selections, the end featured a latter day mix of songs. The results were mixed. The songs used have reputations for being bonafide great live songs, but they've been used much, much more effectively on past tours. Whereas the previous night's show had ended with the band's soaring 1980 hit "I Will Follow," the Sunday Night Show ended with a slower new song from the Upcoming "Songs of Experience" album. It was good, but not as a show closer (I personally believe the most apt ending would have been Rattle & Hum's "All I Want is You."

And, not to rip on the crowd, but it feels like the age demographic has gotten noticeably older. I guess two albums that don't appeal at all to a younger crowd in a row will do that. The crowd seemed worn out by the end. I think part of it was due to the less than ideal ending, but some of it was definitely the age.

Overall, however, this is a tour absolutely worth seeing. Again, the Joshua Tree portion is magnificent, and even less that stellar U2 is better than 90% of everything else out there.

Thanks for sharing Rich! Really wish I could see this show, but unfortunally they don't play in Sweden this tour... :-(

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service