We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

This week I posted some in-person Beatles autographs collected in the 1980s.

The collector of the autographs was an interesting guy and obtained some nice in-person pieces. These included cast-signed Star Wars and Indiana Jones posters, a Kubrick-signed Clockwork Orange and a band-signed Springsteen poster. He was a photographer and was also photographed with some of the "stars". You can read about him and see the things he collected here:

http://www.emovieposter.com/unused/2011shaps/

Some of you may have guessed that the Paul, George and Ringo autographs were all on a "Hard Day's Night" window card. Here is the full piece as the original owner displayed it:

Apart from the dinner plate-sized McCartney and the wild Harrison, the fact that the autographs were on a movie poster was the main reason I bought this. I am also a pretty keen movie poster collector so it was a great "crossover piece" for me.

I have never seen another Beatles' autographed movie poster of any kind (be it a six sheet, one sheet, insert, window card, or even a lobby card or 8" x 10" movie still). The nearest I can get to signed movie memorabilia pieces are programmes, production "call sheets" and usherette dresses from the premieres (a London book dealer currently has one of the HDN dresses on offer for £15k by the way).

Does anyone have examples of other Beatles' signed movie posters, including stills? Even things signed by just one Beatle or relating to post-Beatles solo projects would be interesting. It might be better to exclude items that were produced for commercial sale, such as movie programmes, as there are probably lots of those.

Views: 918

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I suspect that the 'John' isn't authentic, Paul and George at least look genuine but are Post Beatle signatures (not that that would be a problem). Ringo looks genuine but I have no idea of the time frame. Just a few opinions to get the conversation going.

I have seen signed programs for the Premieres of both AHDN and Help!

Here's a couple of pictures I found via an Internet search. I've actually held the (1st) signed 'Help!' Premiere program before in the early 80's at a Sotheby's auction viewing session. It was signed for co-star and friend Victor Spinetti.

Met Spinetti and picked his brain for the longest time...nice man....

Thanks Karl.

These are nice examples of premiere programmes. They are obviously far rarer than concert tour programmes but I'm wondering whether there are any other signed movie posters around at all. I think there is a reasonable chance that there aren't any or at least any larger than a lobby card (11" x 14"). I say this for three reasons:

1. The posters were not produced for sale and most of them were returned to the distributor after use.

2. Posters are bulky things to carry around and get signed. With the conventions we have these days it is now perhaps easier to get such things signed.

3. Most people wouldn't think to get the Beatles to sign a movie poster, even if it is for one of their movies.

You are right that the Lennon is almost certainly a fake. It was a kind of add-on, separate from the window card but part of the sale. I knew it was highly suspect when buying.

I've personally never seen an authentic, fully signed Beatles Movie Poster. If one exists then it would certainly be an incredible piece.

The movie premiere programs are obviously rarer than tour programs but there's probably a higher percentage of them that would get signed due to the more intimate nature of movie premieres and the after parties.

Does this look like the work of Joe Long to anyone else? The gettyimages one above too possibly

Yes it does. Joe Long strikes again! I agree that he strikes yet again with the Getty Images one.

Yup...Joe Long "strikes" again!!!

I assume you are all (conker, Ballroom and Jim) talking about the programs rather than the OP.

OP looks great, sorry for the confusion.

Was just commenting on the sets Karl posted

From Tracks' website

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service