We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

C'mon now, we all have a story where we blew it. I'll start:
Roy Orbison - during Springsteen's "Tunnel Of Love" performance at the L.A. sports arena in 1988. R.O. was walking in the bathroom (ALL BY HIMSELF) as I was walking out, and I had no sharpie, no tour book, no nothing. I ran to my seat, grabbed a sharpie and a tour book but he was no where to be found. He died in December of that year. The only time ever I encountered him and I got caught with nothing in my hand. NEVER, have I been to a concert since where I do not have the goods ready.

Tags: autographs

Views: 1499

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Two time winner*  Steelers play football, but officials get mad that they hit too hard.  Pathetic at most.  

Roy Orbison has to win.

Nobody cooler.

Ever.

And probably nobody with as compelling and tragic a personal story.

Surprising a great biopic has never been made.

Ive had so many down here in San Diego that I don't EVEN want to think about it.  I never take a Sharpie with me when I go out but I always seem to run into famous stars.  Apart of me wants to put some guitar picks and a stack of index cards in my trunk just in case.
I can't say I have ever had an experience like this. You don't get many celebrities and such down here in Alabama :).
How about the band Alabama?
Mine would be Cris Carter. I was 16 or 17 at training camp. I bought a 8x10 from a vendor of who i was expecting to be Cris Carter. My stupid self never looked at it to verify i was getting the correct picture. Well after practice i was pulling out of the parking lot, after not getting his autograph, and who comes strolling through the parking lot with not a soul around besides him and me in my car leaving, but Cris Carter. I immediately put my car in park grabed the picture and ran to him and asked if he would sign my picture. He takes the picture and as he is about to sign he hands it back to me and says that is not me. I just put my head down and turned and walked back to my car :( 13-14 years later and i still have this unsigned picture of Jake freaking Reed sitting there.
Pat Tillman.  Passed him on campus at ASU every other day for a year. Said hello in passing a few times.

Okay -- a few things about the previous stories before I gets to mind (first -- shout out to the dude from San Diego; I'm a writer/film critic in SD as well).

Bonnie Rait DOES NOT SIGN autographs, so....don't kick yourself over that one. I had a story about getting her and how hard it was (since she refuses), but this fine magazine folded before I got a chance to put it out there.

Also, since THE DOORS are my favorite band -- I'm curious. Ray said in an interview that the band would NEVER perform THE END, because that was a Jim song, and they didn't want any other singer touching it. So...are you sure it was The End that Ian sang? If so -- cool beans!

Now, I can't tell you the times I've had where I kicked myself, because it would be 25 pages long. I'll try, though.

Justin Timberlake. I could give a flying crap about him, in all honesty. BUT...I was getting Rolling Stone magazine, he was on the cover, and doing a rare show at a small venue (house of blues). My friend told me when he got him in LA, TImberlake said "Are you gay or something ? Why do you want my autograph?" That flustered me, I guess.

A line was around the building...I was at the area where I knew talent goes. I heard a guy on a walkie talkie say "Be ready. He'll be here in five minutes."

The SUV pulled up. I had my Rolling Stone, sharpie in pants pocket to not look obvious. He got out, with 5 body guards, and he nodded at me. I nodded at him. And I said nothing. As he's walking in the door a minute later, the crowd goes nuts and he waves. I have no clue why I didn't ask him. I just froze, thinking it was weird that a 35 year old man is waiting for him.

Another autograph dealer told me Olivia Newton John ONLY signs her first name, and only one item.  This guy really knows his stuff. He goes to LA, Vegas, everywhere for autographs he sells (I hate dealers, but another story for another time).

I had 4 albums, and Olivia gets off tour bus. THere's 8 people. She signs multiples for the few people in front of me, but I just pulled out one album. We made small talk. She signed her full name. But upside down. She apologized for about 2 minutes, I told her it was fine. Yet, I could've easily said "Well...sign it right side up on another album." I felt self-concsious though, and didn't. I got one album signed, upside down, while everyone else got 5 items signed.

Ted Nugent. Used to be a good signer. He got bad. I waited for 3 houurs after the show. He walked out, and signed for one guy. But he had been telling security to have us get lost.

I was 200 feet away, and told him the show was great. Wanting him to know I was a fan, and not a dealer, I said "Why do you never do Pile Driver in concert anymore?" He laughed and said 'Once in a while I do." I asked him to sign, and he just walked into his hostel. His son was working with him, and said he'd take the stuff up to his room. I just had 2 CDs (didn't feel like carry all my albums into a concert).

Son said "He's sleeping. sorry." I sent him a letter about how uncool that was, when we waited for hours, and I sent the two cds for him to sign. Never got them back.

Oh, that reminds me -- had an autographed picture of Robert DeNiro from Raging Bull. Autograph Magazine had an address of his female lead in that (her first movie ... forget the actresses name). Sent it for her to sign. Never got it back. Sent numerous letters, asking where it was. Never heard from them. Lesson learned: DO NOT send ANYTHING in the mail, that you will be pissed if you don't get back.

That reminds me of a sports autograph collector I met. He told me he sent a photo to Yogi Berra. WHAT did he get back? A team photo, signed by EVERYONE on that team, even Yogi. Apparently, he put the wrong picture in the envelope. This guy was thrilled. He just sent a head shot....but imagine the poor bloke that sent a team photo, already with all the other signatures, and he gets a head shot with just Yogi.

I sent Pulp Fiction soundtrack sleeve, from address in Autograph, to actor Tim Roth. He sent me back an 8 x 10, but not the sleeve.

I waited 2 hours after the concert, for Link Wray (he has since died). His son was also working for him. TOld me to wait another hour, as he was taking his dad to get something to eat, and would be right back. It rained on me, son came back, but said dad was sick and wanted to go back to hotel. He told me he'd send me the CD back. Never did, and Link died. Worst part -- a dips**t autograph dealer, got a guitar, and 10 items signed, while handing them into the van, and didn't even go to the concert, and wasn't even sure who Wray was.

And everyone wonders why I hate dealers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Josh- I got Bonnie Raitt in San Diego at sound check about 6 years ago.  I had albums though.  think that helped?

A few more that came to mind:

Not bringing anything for Mchael Jordan and then being in the locker room with him, and deciding to hve him sign a scrap of paper (where he signed over DOminque Wilkins name).

Not bringing anything for the Dream Team (jordan, bird, magic), when I was interviewing them all for a radio station (you weren't allowed to, but still should've tried).

I can understand why celebs don't like to sign.

I'm not a big autograph collector.

Occasionally I get something of personal significance signed.

For example, years ago I produced a Roger McGuinn concert.

All this time I wished I'd had him sign one of our handbills.

Still had some around.

He was playing nearby last week.

So I went  and when he arrived another couple and I were waiting.
He graciously signed one for me.

Mission accomplished.

But his wife made sure we knew he'd only sign one item each and afterwards spoke for a while about how she can't stand when people lie to get some item signed and then she sees it on e-bay the next day.

(I choose to believe that was not meant at me).

And talked about how people crowd around him even if they're sick and he gets sick and the result can be canceled shows.

Or people try to stalk him backstage or at hotels.

Bottom line...if it's a convenient time and place...it's not a mob scene and the requester isn't being a jerk...it seems to me that most people are likely to sign.

And by the way...the Link Wray story is one that can rival missing Roy Orbison.

Another one of the coolest guys ever.

I missed catching Link Wray just before he died because I had to work late.

But did see him once with Robert Gordon in a half-flooded New Jersey theater.

Great show nevertheless.

You guys are so awesome. Makes me want to type stories all night.

First, regarding Cris Carter -- I think he's the best receiver to ever play football. Bar none. I've seen him make catches that no other receiver would've made in the history of the sport. Can't believe he didn't make the Hall on his first induction attempt.

Second, I always found albums made situations WORSE. Maybe Raitt has gotten better over the years. Also, she does this charity, where you pay $600 for a meet and greet, so maybe that's why she sometimes is reluctant to sign.

I met Roger McGuinn twice, both times, no signature (truth be told, I HATE the Byrds...too jingly jangly for my tastes...but he's a legend). His wife, both times, was nice enough to say "he'll sign the CDs at the merch booth." My friend was going to the show, I gave him $20 for the signed CD. And I was fine with that...and she makes a good point. I interviewed a Rolling Stone (that ran in Autograph), and Bill Wymann told me he's signed guitars for someone that swore they were the biggest fan in the world. Next day, on ebay, and claiming they were guitars he played -- when he didn't play them -- just merely signed them. He contacted eBay, who said they didn't care (dick dale told me the same thing, when people lied about his "guitars" which he had never seen)

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service