We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Can you tell me if you think this Bette Davis lobby card is authentic?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bette-Davis-signed-What-ever-Happened-to-B...

Views: 946

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not for me. Atypical (much of what you showed is) - same comments as yesterday. Both sigs from that seller seem a little to alike & perhaps confused as to what year they are trying to be. In any event, these are not Davis I would sell or collect. I had a super Baby Jane - Crawford in the window and a great Sweet Charlotte. Both went for a lot more than this lobby card - they were vintage signed!

Have you got a clearer photo?

Did not both auctions have good images in the original links provided?

PS - For me, a Baby Jane is not the place to have an atypical signature. It is just about a best case scenario and I think should be viewed as such.

I would like to see a better image of the item before reaching a conclusion. I need a better image of the dedication.

If the Lobby card is original it would have a value of $60. At best a signed one would be $200-ish. I can imagine someone having a go on a reproduction, but a vintage lobby card.

I hope he hasn't sent it back just yet. IMHO there aren't enough red flags to warrant a fail just yet. Is the lobby card vintage? If it is then I think it warrants further investigation on a clearer image. 

Another - same seller. Click for full images:

Many thanks. That gives me something to get to grips with. If it has gone back I might be interested if I can get to the bottom of it. 

I'm still on the fence at the moment, but I think there is enough info here to come to a decisive conclusion.

That will give me something to do tomorrow. Cheers Eric

Many thanks for the images

Here is something "more typical" if a bit older - note the rapidity, fluidity, bulbous "B", the curves, loops, and the "D" as well as the lack of an extra letter in "Davis" - those OP's are just too atypical for me and she is so abundant.

There's are loads of variations. I'm going to investigate the dedication closer. I will find an answer. 

Bette Davis is not a prime target for forger's. If the lobby card is vintage you would be risking 50usd to make another 100. Doesn't make much sense to me. Even if someone had a go, why devalue it with a dedication. Less is more when forging. It just doesn't make sense. 

Looking at the clearer image. I'm leaning towards genuine. I'll sort it out tomorrow

I am saying atypical for me, not forgery although possible. That inscription does look slow to me, BTW. 

Did he send it back?

As I say often, I like unusual items, but not unusual signatures. If it takes a day or two to reach a conclusion on a Davis between 3 sets of eyes, I don't want it.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service