Views: 4357

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For fans it is actually cheaper than buying a non painted one from a big box store. It's a $10 cd, so I'm not seeing any disadvantage here? 

I just watched the video of her "painting" these cds and I cant stop laughing. It is just so lazy on her part. Saying that,  for those that are buying the cd, as long as you are happy and I hope you enjoy them 

The annoying thing to me is they're just plain white... why not at least choose a color or do 2 colors or something. 

I'm wondering if any random ones will have extra stuff painted on them besides just the splattered paint or maybe signed in paint. I've noticed on some of the signed stuff I've gotten she randomly writes the S backwards on her signature sometimes and sometimes it's normal. So I'm hoping she does some random stuff on some of them. Or like the Target cd that as far as I know she didn't announce she signed, but some of the posters inside were signed. 

I didn't understand the appeal of these when she posted about them, and quite frankly I still don't, but a quick look at Twitter (and the number sold so far) shows there are quite a few fans who are super excited about these.

Multiple people are excited about having paint that Eilish actually touched. Some are excited that the item was in the same room as her. And at least one individual was hopeful that she stepped on theirs because it'll be as close as they get to having her step on them... This last person's comments really weirded me out, so I stopped looking around after that, but my point is that as unusual as the whole concept is, she's presumably doing this for her "real" fans and it seems to have hit the mark. Average autograph collectors probably won't be interested, Dealers and Flippers will at least try to make money, but will have a more difficult time than normal (I think?). Her genuine and most devoted fans are the big winners. They get something they're excited about, and at a very reasonable price. Plus, she gets the 10,000+ physical sales which is arguably the whole point of this.

I only hope that the success of these doesn't set some sort of weird industry precedent that makes a bunch of other artists switch to this type of release rather than releasing traditional signed copies. I don't think it will, but I'd be really bummed if it did.

...As an aside, the level of infatuation and borderline obsession that some of these "stans" exhibit is unnerving.

Agreed... that would really suck if all artists (or more likely the label) decided to splash paint instead of signing... I've gotten some awesome signatures for cheap from their pre-orders (the ones that were real anyway). No way to tell if someone else painted these like you can with signatures so I could see the labels loving this as it would cut down on returns like when they send out fake autographs.

I was looking at the Twitter comments too and you're exactly right... some of them were just straight up creepy. One I seen said they'd pay to have her spit paint into their face or mouth or something similar... no thanks,  I'll just take an autograph. :D

But as I said before, I got one just because I have some signed stuff of hers already,  it'll look cool displayed with a signature and it's only 10 bucks so it's not going to break the bank. Not sure I'd get one if I didn't already have a few of her autographs though. 

I'm sure people will buy this rubish. They must be laughing all the way to the bank.

It's funny to see markets incl. collectors markets evolve. 20 years ago Crypto currencies, NFT and splattered cds would have been laughed at. Not sure if this is genus or insanity. 

It's understandable,  as artists Don't make much from streaming (poor things) they are being creative  in selling CDs, vinyl and cassettes. 

They are all over eBay for around £45. I'm just off the the shops for a can of white paint 

Good luck in finding the art card unsigned to paint then ;)

I won't be surprised if someone makes copies of it at a print shop and paints them. If they can make counterfeit signed baseball cards with holograms and foil these will be a piece of cake to fake.  

There's ebay stores making hundreds of thousands of dollars per year selling fake autographs and they get away with it, no problem. These will probably be an easy target for those scumbags. Print cards for a few cents each dribble some paint on for a few more cents... make $40-60 a few hundred times. I definitely wouldn't buy these on ebay if I missed them here. 

I simplify this whole thing. She's red hot and has been for a few years now, and her fans will buy anything she sells. Look at her merch stand and the way fans line up immediately when the doors to her shows open.

It's easy, it's cheap, it's different and it's supposedly customized by Billie herself. Fans will buy it no doubt. It's not intended for casual fans or collectors.

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service