We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

It's a first come first served. The signed copies will be allocated in chronological order based on the date and time of purchase. So it's not guaranteed you will get a signed one.

EDIT: It's presumed to be SOLD OUT.

https://www.easons.com/surrender-bono-9781529151787

Views: 54545

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Agreed

Book collectors have a follow-the-flag rule generally.  So if buying an American author like Twain, or Vonnegut - you want an American first edition.  If it was a UK author  like C.S. Lewis or Terry Pratchett you'd want a UK first edition.  So if both are signed, both are  first editions, and they are in similar condition... I'd say keep the UK/European version.

To keep "forever" to enjoy; the European with the title page.

As an investment; the US tipped-in.

If you look at the other thread you'll see what kind of forgeries are already on the market. A tipped-in page is almost impossible to forge. Well, nothing is impossible, but unless these go for thousands it's not worth the effort when you can forge regular signed books.

I agree with Jor-El, a tipped-in page can not be added to a book, so it makes it harder if not nearly impossible to forge. Whereas a title page can be forged (adding into question it's authenticity.) IMO I like the look of a title page signed from a reputable dealer/retailer,but as an investment, I agree "The Tipped-In" book takes away any doubt it was originally signed and added by the publisher.

I've got news for you. You can forge a tip-in page.  I saw one with a Renegades book where someone had nearly perfectly removed the tip-in page and replaced it with a fake.  They got the paper slightly wrong-but otherwise was almost a perfect forgery. People will surprise you with the effort and ingenuity they'll employ to earn a dishonest buck. 

My guess is they bought a bunch, yanked the signature pages, made up fakes to put in, then sold the books off while probably certing the removed pages as cut graphs.  A lot of effort. But if you got hold of 10 copies could be an easy  couple grand in profit. 

Serious book collectors prefer a proper, signed title page over a blank, tipped-in page.  It means the book has been held, however briefly, by the author; collectors love that.  Plus, they prefer to see the signature on the same page as the title/author’s name/publisher.  Given a choice between the two, I’d take the title page every time.

My preference:

Title page > half-title page > tipped-in > bookplate.

+1

This!!

Sometimes, tip-ins are all you can get. That said, I do appreciate the "signed on title" route, particularly for my most heavily-collected authors.

Oh, absolutely.  I have many tip-ins that I’m very happy with.  Custom bookplates can look nice, too.  I’m not going to cut off my nose to spite my face, if those are the only options available to me.  It’s rare that one even has a choice these days.

Like you, I’m a serious collector of signed books, and, in that world, the title page generally trumps all other signed options.  We don’t see it as a straightforward autograph*, but as a whole item — the author putting their personal mark on their own work.  It’s akin to a visual artist signing their prints.  That’s why it makes me cringe so much when I hear of autograph collectors cutting books.  It’s anathema, to me.

*The word autograph doesn’t even mean the same thing in the book collecting world.  It means a handwritten manuscript.  We talk of signed books, not autographed books.  It’s an important distinction that I’m sure you get, Rabbits, but, equally, there are many here who use the two terms interchangeably.

Said far more eloquently than I could hope to write.

"My preference:

Title page > half-title page > tipped-in > bookplate."

Interesting and generally agreeable order of preference. 

I sometimes prefer the half title page because it has lots more room for an inscription. If it's just a signature then the title page is good. 

I don't like the first "page" when you open the cover (free end sheet) or the flyleaf/next page, as these are connected to the cover.  The flyleaf is glued to the endsheet close to the binding, so that page never fully opens.  (I hope I have all the terminology correct).

I figure if the book ever needed to be rebound those pages would be sacrificed with the old cover.

Some people just open the cover and sign the endsheet, but presumably any author familiar with the process would look for one of the title pages. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service