We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

A very nice lady emailed me, asking about the value of the Beatles autographs that she's had since 1964, and how best to go about selling them.

A friend of her father's was the Beatle's chauffeur during their first US concert on Feb. 11, 1964 in Washington, DC. He got a few sets signed for the kids of friends, and that's how the lucky lady got this one.

They're in pencil on a blank index card. She tacked them to her bulletin board a few times, but she was careful to avoid the autographs. Those are pencil marks touching the R of Ringo and S of Harrison, not holes.

I braced myself when she contacted me, hoping against hope that I wouldn't have to tell her that they were signed by Neil Aspinall, like all but a few sets from similar situations. Seeing that they were real made my day.

Here...I'll let the owner tell you about them in her own words:

"I was doing an online search for authentication of Beatles autographs and came across your article. I have an original autograph that was given to me in 1964 when the Beatles gave their first US concert in Washington DC. My father's friend was a chauffeur-taxi driver and he drove them around the Washington area. He had several small cards index size and had them autographed for his friends teenage kids (like me). It is autographed in pencil."

When I told her that I was happy to tell her that they were real, she said:

"I knew the autograph was real because of the circumstances related to my receiving it. There has been a long standing joke in my family that I kept the autograph hidden in a box. The favorite question was how is the Beatles autograph doing?  LOL  I have always kept it in a plastic bag but it probably should have been protected better. I can't believe it took me 50 years to do this."

Regarding the pinholes:

"The mark on the R is not a pinhole. It appears to be from the pencil that he used to sign it. Same with the mark on the S in Harrison. There are 7 pinholes, 3 above the nno in Lennon, 1 below the second n in Lennon, 2 below the ne in McCartney and one on the far bottom right side. Attached is a scan of the back of the card which makes it easier to distinguish the pinholes."

What do you think the set is worth? How do think the owner should consider selling it? She was planning to take it to a TPA but I suggested she may not need to—so if it looks naked without a sticker on in the front you can blame me.

Tags: 1964 Beatles Autographs, February 11, 1964, first US concert, washington DC

Views: 2950

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The owner said it's 3x5.

It's still an historical item.....

I think it would be a real shame to repair the pin holes imo, - its got loadfs of character and a really nice authentic feel to it

Agreed.

Just leave it as it is.....it's fine.....

agreed

Hello! I am the very nice lady that contacted Steve about my precious Beatles autograph. Thanks for all of your responses and feedback related to the value of the item. Very helpful information! I have another question. What is the best and also most trustworthy method that you might recommend for selling it? Appreciate your suggestions.  Thanks!!

Contact Perry Cox and ask him to sell it for you on Ebay. Of course he will take a comission from the sale. Perry cox is one of the top leading authorities on Beatles memorabilia and autographs. Only if he puts this item up for auction on Ebay, it will reach the highest and maximum price possible. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. If I decide to use Ebay, I will contact Perry. 

Adele, a very nice set of autographs.  Sometimes selling them is as hard as getting them.  The best way to sell them depends on your situation. If you would like to sell them quickly then the ebay / Perry Cox idea is good. Or you could advertise them here and get a private sale.  If a quick turnaround is not an issue then a traditional auction house is good Heritage in the US or Bonhams, Omega or Christie’s in the UK. You could also see if Tracks UK would be interested in buying them. With the auction houses most have a special Entertainment or Music related special auction and you have to ask them when those auctions happen. Commission on the sale is a big issue and most are between 15 and 20% of the sale price. Perry might be more but he does more for you and has a great reputation. Tracks is a good place as well but you won’t get top dollar as they are buying for resale.  In the end a private sale is best if you have the item priced well. Hope this helps.

Thanks Fab432.  Great information! A private sale, if possible, appeals most to me. I checked Ebay, including Perry Cox items, and the asking price of items with authenticated all 4 signatures ranges from $5,600 to $25,000 (higher end are framed with photos, programs or albums). I also noticed that their signatures somewhat changed over the years. After reviewing so many items, I can see why it is so difficult to determine whether or not they are real!  Thanks again!

Perry is an excellent choice for consignment.

I think you'll be able to get a good price yourself, especially with the provenance they have, so I think you're smart to pursue that route first.

It's the perfect blend: both you and the buyer get a great deal by saving commissions, you know what you'll get, you're paid right away. As long as you use regular PayPal and deal with someone with a solid history it's very safe. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service