We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Here's something interesting I thought I'd share with you all. Some of you might have heard that the remaining members of Queen are making a Freddie Mercury biopic coming to theaters at the end of the year. This movie has been in the making for many years now and most queen fans assumed it would never actually leave the ground. But here it is. In discussing it with a few friends in the field both online and off, I have to agree the movie will provide new exposure to brand new fans and as someone else has so brilliantly put it: more exposure means new fans, new fans means higher demand, higher demand means higher value. I have to say I agree. This is actually something those of us in the queen collecting circle have been noticing over the last few months. Freddie's value has been growing recently and the movie isn't even out yet. For example, last year the going rate for a signed freddie on plain paper was about $400. Today, they are averaging about $550-$600 on plain paper. Last year, a fully signed album was worth about $1,200. Today they are averaging about $1,800/1,900 and growing quickly. Ive been collecting queen for about 40 years (yikes) and I can tell you this is not the same as usual yearly value growth. It's happening much quicker. Genuine Freddie autographs are spending less and less time sitting on sale. Last year it was common to see a freddie signed item for sale for a few days before it was scooped up. These days, we are seeing them being purchased within hours of being offered. Just a heads up for those of you interested in freddie signed items: now is the time to buy (safely). These autographs will be a great investment soon. Who knows how high the value will go this time next year. 

As usual if anyone is considering a freddie or queen signed item, I'd be happy to offer my opinions and help. 

All the best 

Tags: Freddie, Mercury

Views: 3668

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That book you were interested in was from rockaholic right? It's not up for sale anymore if it was his. Did it sell arleady?

sorry i missed this reply earlier

yes the book is from "rockoholic2010"

ebay title says seller ended the listing due to an error

no idea what this could mean. 

Not sure if your last comment was tongue in cheek goodcat but "seller ended the listing due to an error" generally means that the seller sold the item off eBay. As a buyer, I have been miffed to read this many times.   

not tongue in cheek but was paraphrased

direct quote is.... 

"This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."

Have enjoyed this discussion and decided to share my stuff.  I hope nobody minds.

Your night at the opera was signed at the American promo signing for the album and the other is from the signed box sets. Another promo item. Both will grow in value and will be on the higher end of the market because they are both promo items.

I had a photo of Fred signing these in the green marker somewhere at the promo signing but this will have to do for now. The boys did tend to sign in the same places for the most part. Freddie stuck to the bottom left or right corner with roger. Brian and john at the top. In your case Chris, the boys were parked at a table and handed the albums in order down the line. Many forgers have noticed that and tried to replicate it. And looking at Freddie's hand from the 70s, you'll understand why it's the type of freddie they often attempt to fake. So again, for 70s freddie autographs, my advice would be to avoid them unless they also include other members of the band. I'll keep searching for that pic of him signing in green at the promo signing but its a great item, Christopher.

Thanks for the background and kind comments Innuendo.  Some of this detail I was aware of, from reading your posts I’m sure.  Some was new.  Very fortunate to have a generous resource with your experience to sheppard us all through the forgery minefield.  

Very kind of you to say, Christopher thank you. 

Fabulous items Christopher.  Tasteful framing too.  Hope they’re under UV protective glass. 

It’s odd the way Queen autographs have spiked in recent years but their rare vinyl hasn’t spiked to the same degree.  I know eBay had a negative affect on rare vinyl prices simply due to making them one click away and sellers having competition, rather than having to trawl through the old record fairs but this doesn’t seem to apply to autographs.  

Beautiful albums Christopher,! I love how you have them framed too.

Jumbo and Mary - thanks so much.  If it ain’t worth framing properly then it ain’t worth owning :).  But it took me a while to learn what was worth framing.  Turning point was realizing the idiocy of spending $300+ to frame a Sting poster worth $50.  I still have that mistake around here somewhere, haha.  Again, much thanks for your kind comments.  

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service