We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hi, thanks for you opinion. 

I just Bought This Lennon, for 993$..What do you think?

Views: 3874

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with you completely, Karl. Discussions and online opinions from knowledgeable parties dramatically reduce the chances of buying a fake autograph, but you have to see it in person to make sure it's good. And that authenticator has to inspect autographs carefully and be on the lookout for things that don't look, or feel, right.

Some people are more concerned with getting the opinion they want then they are about the authenticity of a signature.

All these guys discussed here are Beatle experts and good at what they do. They can greatly decrease the risks of buying a forgery. Reality is everyone of them have been fooled before and will no doubt be fooled again. It's just not an exact science.

+1

Yes, I’ve reached that conclusion so many times, it’s just opinions with some being more respected by others.

In fact I think some of the opinions are so respected that their word can effectively make it so.

I guess that’s the beauty of the forum setup whereby you usually get multiple opinions.

Either way it’s a valuable resource for those who don’t have the confidence to make their own calls and it’s for free too.

Two of the experts mentioned in this discussion very recently looked at two Beatles autographs and had differing opinions. One certed the item containing the two signatures and the other said they were fake. The item was subsequently pulled from sale.

and the plot thickens

It's really quite sad and upsetting this whole Beatles bizzness. 

Due to the quality and quantity of forgeries and difficulty of authentications, I do not bother to study them and sadly I may never own a set for fear I made the wrong choice.

But on the upside, it will save me a ton of cash too haha

Can buy a lot of Rush signatures with that saved cash.

copy that ;)

great point Karl.  Sometimes we qualify the opinion with that in mind, other times we hope that it is just understood that you cannot tell a copy thru a photo.

I think it’s got the potential to be very confusing/disheartening for people who post these items asking for opinions.

They might get a basic “Looks good” or two based on the form of the signature.....followed by loads of cynical comments about how it might not even be an actual signature.

Now of course that’s true and something people need to be aware of but I think so many of these concerns could be covered by a general ‘disclaimer’ along the lines of  “Obviously all opinions are just based upon a reproduction of the item and you must seek to satisfy yourself that the item has actually been signed” Maybe placed at the beginning of the actual forums or a quick “Try to make sure that it isn’t any kind of reproduction “ comment.

I know people want to help but so many of these “It could just be” posts just break the flow of the thread and confuse the confused even more than when they originally asked for opinions.

If you get a sense that a signature might be a reproduction and keep a large exemplar file, you can sometimes catch these things based on a posted image.

Well that’s great when you can do it; it’s specific information about the item being discussed rather than general caution/cynicism. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service