...I'm beginning it think it is.

This is probably typical in the UK regarding T&Cs listed by auction houses...….

"All statements contained in the catalogue as to the authenticity, attribution, genuineness, origin, authorship, date, age, period, condition or quality of any Lot are statements of opinion, and are not to be taken as, or as implying, statements or representations of fact. Imperfections not stated"

So, If you purchased an item that you won and a few weeks later you fount it to be fake, you couldn't get a refund. At best, you would find it difficult.

If the same happened on eBay you will get a refund if you can give some sort of proof (UACC or PSA etc) I purchased a fake coin last year and got a refund with no problem, despite the seller being an ass. eBay give more protection to the buyer than the seller.

What is your experience?

Views: 871

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For example: that Freddie Mercury fake that sold for £205. It would take me less than two minutes to get a refund. 

And the 99 other people who also purchased a Freddie Mercury forgery will never pursue that avenue.

That's probably true. It's come to the point that you have to be a competent expert in order to buy authentic autographs

I've been with eBay for 10 years. I've spent thousands of pounds over the years and I've not lost a penny. I've had occasion to claim, but always got my money back. That was what I was trying to say. Not that eBay sell authentic autographs, but you can easily get a refund ....if you ask. You can't do that with a lot of auction houses. Some not ALL. That was my point. Does your experience differ? If so, give examples. 

Christopher

I agree

on ebay you basically return anything even it says no returns u just have to know how to. for real auction house u need to give sold proof and so yes but u just change ur mind or over bid.if u provide real reason they will deal with it

It is true that eBay gives you more recourse if you discover you've been scammed. If you buy direct from a dealer or auction house, you are at their mercy.

That said, eBay has a lot of downside:

• Scammers can anonymously sell hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars worth of fakes. If someone gets wise to you, just change your eBay name. Easy - peasy.
  • No policing of obvious fakes
  • Casual buyers and those who have no knowledge of the hobby -- for example, a mom who wants to get something autographed as a gift for her kid -- would be far more likely to use eBay and wrongly assume it is safe.
  • Lax enforcing of their own banned COA list
  • Turn a blind eye to mass produced fakes and the rubber stamper forensic experts who issue worthless COAs
  • eBay sometimes removes LEGIT negative feedback at the request of sellers, and sellers can reply to negatives with lies to cloud the matter. Bottom line: their feedback system is essentially worthless.

Well written, Steve,and very true.

That is exactly what I was trying to say. Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly.

As I said: I phoned eBay to tell them that they were profiting from forgery. They gave me a link to share any suggestions I might have. If anyone would like that link...

Http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/account/suggestions.html

I also told eBay that they had a moral obligation to protect their buyers. That's probably why it is easy to get a refund. They must feel guilty..just a bit

In my opinion, EBay has no morals or ethics.

its more of a credit card thing now 

berfore when ebay was starting for years there was no protection

Michael, Ebay doesn't care.  

They don't even enforce their own Banned COA List.

They even lied at the National Convention this year:

https://live.autographmagazine.com/profiles/blogs/ebay-representati...

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service