We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

Judy Garland vintage ( 1941) signature in glorious graphite!

Good Day All!  I happened across this early Judy signature at auction and would like your learned opinion as to its authenticity. It is a blue-gray 3.75 x 2.5 album page, dated "Oct-10-1941"  and is mounted now.  Looks right to me what say you?  

Views: 477

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok....at the risk of sounding like "that guy"....I feel we are starting to go down the "Pre-Certified" rabbit hole that we've been down before.  

Has there ever been an RR rep. coming onto this board who has cleared up what "Pre-Certification" means?   What the rights and responsibilities of a potential bidder are?

I take it as being that Beckett has examined it BEFORE the auction goes live and has opined that it is authentic.  No ifs, ands or buts about it.  This is what Beckett believes and RR has accepted.  Still don't know if that is done on site and in person at RR or done digitally.  Since Beckett is "in partnership" with RR,  I had always thought that buying a Letter is just the icing on the cake (for which both Beckett and RR further profit).

RR displays the Beckett emblem on the listing in their auctions precisely in the hopes of giving potential buyers confidence that what they are bidding on has been found to be real by this third party authentication company.  Also, RR is very clear that if a potential bidder wants a different TPA to weigh in, it has to be done BEFORE placing a bid (truly a Quick Opinion only unless they allow JSA and PSA to come in and have a look in person on site).  Plus there's only 30 days after auction's end to raise a dispute (any lifetime guarantee out the window).

In the case of this Judy Garland, the window of opportunity to use another TPA (PSA or JSA) as a second opinion is forfeited the moment the bid is placed.

To me, it's maddening.  I apologize for the rant and would appreciate any clarification if I am wrong in any of this.

Great post! Quite honestly, the pre-certification stuff is confusing. It would be hard for me to believe every piece in a RR auction has been sent to Beckett for them to examine. I always thought the piece had to physically be sent in to the TPA to get the actual COA. Unless RR has someone on site that represents Beckett, I can only believe that these are “quick opinions” based on photos before the $75 is ever spent. 

I have used RR on several occasions but my pieces always came with a PSA/DNA letter. Now, back in the day with Heritage Auction when it said pre-certification (verification) you had to send it into the TPA. It would be nice to have a representative from RR on here to clear this up. 

Yes, it would be nice to have an RR rep. state clearly and with precision what "Pre-Certification" entails.  I believe it's a point of fact that an autograph seller on eBay cannot use just a Quick Opinion from JSA, PSA or Beckett to claim authenticity on an item they are offering.  If RR is only offering what is basically a Quick Opinion while displaying the Beckett emblem, seems to me there is something a bit misleading.   

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service