We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hello Friends,

I have just got Marilyn Monroe signature from recent RR Auction yesterday after waiting for 3 years. It is a bit faded but the price is quite reasonable (at $1,278 included BP) compared to previous auction. So I am wondering if the price is a good deal. 

Your kind comment on authenticity and price of this signature would be appreciated. 

Regards,

Kit

Views: 936

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for your suggestion, Eric. Once I get the autograph, I will consult with the conservator how to slow down the degradation of this paper. 

Thanks so much for your suggestion, Kamran. 

I'm certain the signature is authentic. If that is your only hesitation on this piece. Exhale and enjoy. Value seem appropriate for the condition. Genuine Marilyn's don't come much cheaper than this.

Thanks Joe, I agree with you.

PS - It's generally a good idea to include the BP "juice" with your max bid as your total, if you aren't doing so. Not sure who/how you bought this from at 1,050 but I just wanted to mention.

Eric

Hi Eric,

Ok, I will do it next time.

Hi Kit,

It was just a suggestion. That is perhaps why there was some clarification requested in this thread - was it $1050 or $1280-something? I think many folks consider the "juice" as part of their max bid or the "cost". I know I do.

And DP made a good point - congrats after a 3 year hunt.

Eric

Thanks so much, Eric. I have just checked on RR past auction result for the past 6 years and found that most of MM signed cut with good condition valued about $2,000 or more. Some of her signed cut with good condition were closed for $1400-1500 but very very few.
So do you think the price I got was good enough to compensate the fading of this signature?

Hi Kit,

I think so, yes. It is important you are happy with it and I think you are. It is a bit hard to see as framed, so I would want to re-frame it to make it as bold as possible. Perhaps the ink color could be utilized. Silver leaf also might work wonders but hard to imagine with the red in/on the frame now. I might also suggest a b/w photo because all this color is stealing the show here I think. Delicate framing, cropping/matting, textures/colors and a b/w photo could well do it. Cream mat and silver leaf leaf frame with slight bit of that ink color in one of the inner mats might echo just enough of the ink to make it pop. Right now the framing/matting is aimed at her lips in the color photo. Maybe a vintage b/w still...but not too sepia or warm.

Eric

็I really appreciated for your suggestion, Eric. I have already told RR  to take out the frame and I will re-frame according to your suggestion.

Hello Kit,

This is incredibly bad Photoshop done in just a moment, but I wanted to show what your Monroe might look like in a different mat and frame that is geared to maximize the signature and not the lips, making the album page and autograph the most buoyant thing.

I also simplified the mat as I felt it distracting. I obviously had some fun with the photo - perhaps I should simply have made it B/W. There are not many copyright free images one can alter as I have here and print properly. There has been no change to the autograph itself. Just visual trickery achieved with choices.

I did not get into the size of the frame or the mat-work or anything, and this is a quick attempt at silver lead appearance - could be much better. Darn! I just realized the gamma was off on my screen (now that I fixed it). Well, this mock-up is still "correct" in relation to itself. If I redid it the appearance would be better; my ink-matched-mat looks much too purple and a way too dark here and the silver leaf is also not good (it is all hideous), but still one might see what I mean in concept. This will work in the "real" world. Obviously, one would need the page in hand to do accurate color matching (and it helps to check the darn gamma before making mock-ups!).

More than one way to accomplish cohesion with the photo; if you can exert control over the print then you could have the photo echo tones of the album page.

I think the key is making the darkest mat echo the ink.

I am severely embarrassed by this mock-up, but it still makes the point (and I have no time to rework it right now).

Eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks so much for your effort. Now i have clear picture on my mind how to frame this signature nicely. Actually, I am planning to put her signature with various MM figures in my showcase. You can see my showcase at below picture. It should be nice if I put her signature in this showcase.  

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service