We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Last night here in Auckland, New Zealand I went to the "Shatner Downunder" talking tour in a theatre here.

I didn't know he just doesn't do the signing of merchandise thing anymore. There was the VERY expensive option of buying a VIP ticket, around $385 which I didn't do, wasn't even sure what it was. I found out at the end of the night.

As some of you know on here I am trying to authenticate a signed cast photo which includes Shatner's autograph.

I mostly enjoyed the show, funny anecdotes, dramatic episodes in his life, interspersed with relevant video clips. He did tell a rather horrible story about a horse he owned, I still don't get the point of that one. So depressingly sad the way he treated that horse. Anyway.

Before the show started, a guitar duo played gentle classic/latin type music, I knew one of the musicians, since that's how I earn a living as well, and it's a very small industry.

End of the night everyone was leaving and the VIP seat holders were told to stay.

I haven't been an autograph hound for about 30 years - ha ha. I casually walked into the VIP area along with others returning from the rest room. Things have changed and aren't as friendly as they used to be. Fair enough though I suppose, those people paid big bucks and they were getting goodie bags. I explained I wasn't interested in any of that, just 5 seconds of his time. Yeh, that didn't wash, got swiftly led out.

Then I went to the merch area for the support act and I wound up talking to the musician that I knew. They were selling their CD. This chap's name is Jol and I showed him the cast photo I had with me, realizing I didn't have a chance of actually encountering Mr Shatner. At this point, it was all over.

He glanced at the photo and said "that is his signature, I see him signing all the time" - Jol has been on tour throughout the Pacific region with him and has a couple more dates to go. However, he is a musician, not an auto expert. Still he had not a shred of doubt. I felt a bit awkward, said goodbye and left.

As I went around the back of the building to go to the carpark there was a well lit glass box room on the back of the building and in there waiting with about five people was Will Shatner.  So I went towards it and he exited just as I got there, on his own, carrying bags. So I approached him and asked him could he please look at something to authenticate his own signature. I knew I didn't have a chance, from his body language, but was already committed.

End of a not very interesting or productive story was, he didn't even look directly at me, never mind the photo and said "I'm not doing that". So he just went on his way to a car and I ducked off. Boy do I feel silly. 

Anyway, last resort. Who do I pay to authenticate this cast photo, or not. Otherwise I am going to sell it for an extremely low fee on Ebay $1 reserve, as I am kind of off Shatner and the whole thing.

I am absolutely convinced it is authentic and I don't mind spending money on getting it authenticated, but who does this that has the solid reputation as an authentication house?

I am also going to sell all my other autographs, most are signed personally to me. I have Kate Bush, Diana Dors, Joni Mitchell and her touring band (great musicians), Cold Chisel (Australian rock band), Little River Band (Australian) The Pretenders, original lineup, (two of them died within six months). I'm just going to keep my Marilyn Monroe.

If anyone is interested, let me know. All were signed in person to me, in front of me.

Tags: DeForrest, Joni, Kelly, Leonard, Mitchell, Nimoy, Pretenders, Shatner, Star, The, More…Trek, William, cast, original

Views: 1151

Replies to This Discussion

Hmmm, agreed, douchbag. Also I had such a feeling of "money farming" at that show last time. Shatner literally spent no more than 10 minutes with the people who paid the big bucks.

Maybe I should just do a Banksy on this and shred it, then post a photo of it (it won't increase in value though). I don't like it anymore and I don't want the responsibility of it. I want it gone or destroyed.

After looking at more dated exemplars, I think these likely genuine perhaps atypical/unattractive examples from 1978/79 - I can't explain the poor quality of the Kelley but it appears signed later and he may have been drinking. That "f" is not the norm. Nimoy is a real mess but seems to be in there. I'd still pass myself on quality. I can find just a handful of Shatners in this style and he was using secretaries at this time that were close. Would like to see more because my reference for these is an early book about these sigs and I can not be fully sure of the sources. And, as you know, I know thses signatures in vintage form. Not much after 1974 for me.

PS - The Shatner could be as late as 1991.

Thanks Eric,

I do love the detective work side of autos. That musician the other night thought it was way Shatner signs now, so maybe it's more modern and just because it's on an old photo doesn't mean the sigs aren't more modern.

So the Kelley one is not so good? I just thought it was beautiful writing that no one could imitate in one clean sweep like that including the dedication. I have never seen a good Monroe fake, for example. There are just too many marks to hit, that brain habit of writing one's signature is so unique to every human.

Also, and I know humans do terrible things, but who would pollute their real autos on a photo like this with a couple of fakes to top it off?

Anyway, I am stuck with it in the meantime. Plan is try and sell it cheap in NZ, I have it for sale for 3 weeks only at $400 reserve and after that I may destroy it.

I do think it's real, but I don't like the feeling of trying to sell that idea to anyone else. I have never been money orientated or even entertained the thought of ripping anyone off.

I really appreciate your interest in this Eric :)

You are welcome. The Shatner is in no way recent. I would not be comfortable selling it.

Hi Eric, What do you recommend I do with it?What would you do with it?

Who is truly solid out there that does official authentication for Star Trek? I probably would give it that last shot before destroying it.

Well, were it me, I must say I would never had bought it for the reasons we have been discussing. I don't remember how you got it - I think it was sold to you by a trusted friend who meant no harm? What to do with it...I think it is unattractive and odd. It is not something I would buy, sell of recommend just based on quality/oddness. I would hold on to it and try to continue to establish its authenticity. BTW, people put bad signatures on good items for this reason - to "complete" a cast photo or a band signed LP etc. There are a few others here that know some Trek - perhaps Scott Paul?

Thanks Eric - that reason never occurred to me, what a horrible feeling that would be, to know one cheated to complete.

OK, will do a little more work on it, will try Scott Paul, I have some interest on other autos I have.

Anyone know what the full lineup of The Pretenders in 1981 is worth?

Thank you Eric, and Scott Paul has weighed in on this item here:

Star Trek Cast Signing Opinion - I tend to agree with him.

You are welcome Pauline. Scott and I worked this out in tandem last night. We came to the same conclusions. Several rushed (Koenig and Barrett), one awful Nimoy, one potential for problem (Shatner) and a strange but good Kelley. Some sit down and some perhaps walking, like Koenig. We agree fully re Doohan. 

Paula,

You can also ask Pete what he thinks. He's probably the top here on Star Trek. Ask him on his profile and post a link to this discussion.

https://live.autographmagazine.com/profile/PeteChuka

That's right! +1

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service