We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

While we're on the subject of George, how about this oddity currently on eBay with a start price of $1,500.

If it were genuine it would be great but I have pretty major doubts. It seems to be trying a bit too hard and there some very odd flowery bits. Parts of the inscription actually look more like Ringo's work (e.g. the "To"). Another big problem is that George was probably not on the ship on the menu date (2 September 1971). According to a blog I saw (that may be wrong of course) he boarded the ship on 22 September. If the dates are right, I hardly think George would have been asked to sign a three week old menu.

Thoughts?

Views: 3439

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, if the signature is on an item bearing a date the signer was not present and that item should have been discarded three weeks earlier yet was inexplicably chosen over the hundreds of current menus in front of the waiter, yes, I agree with you. It really is important to me. 

Yes, all is cool - no argument. :) Just discussion.

Childish...and incorrect.

I stand by this line of thinking:

"Well, if the signature is on an item bearing a date the signer was not present and that item should have been discarded three weeks earlier yet was inexplicably chosen over the hundreds of current menus in front of the waiter, yes, I agree with you. It really is important to me."

I think that everyone's made their points clearly, cogently and passionately. Unless there are important new things to add, let's leave it at that and not let things get personal. Thanks

I could be wrong, but I think we are supposed to drop this subject?

Im not goung to be helping, but it's not unusual for chefs to hold onto menus, ive had guys show me menus from different countrys, whale menus from norway etc.

Yes, that has some sort of logic. You are speaking of special or unusual menus, such as those printed for private parties or special events which are sometimes retained (by passengers usually). I can vaguely imagine the chef of the Bremen exchanging a menu with the chef of the Mauretania in NY when they had their big run off for the Riband in July of 1929. We know the Captains exchanged greetings.

The only thing unusual about this menu, from a previous crossing, is that it should have been discarded three weeks before (remember they printed several thousand menu interiors every day - during turnaround much is removed), it had no value, it was not wanted in/would not be found in the dining room, and yet was supposedly selected over the hundreds of menus from that one meal sitting, including the menu George was holding. Someone asked if a waiter would even be allowed to "use" a menu from that day - certainly.

That is really all I can say. There is a lecture about printing at sea on these liners by Dr. Teresa Breathnach (from 2012?) for which I provided illustrations and information that gives further details regarding this subject. I have no idea if it is online.

The fact is in a kitchen the size of this ocean liner, these old menus could have easily been stuck somewhere and used for scrap paper, reference, etc.  

If a  celeb is there, maitre d' might have old menu at his station (not current menu) to give to someone-no surprise here

A Steward aboard a Cunard liner would keep your menus, if you asked. He would be encouraged to do so for the company publicity alone. I just confirmed these practices re QE2 C. 1970 with a Cunard employee and friend. However, once that crossing is completeany paper of this sort is discarded along with most anything else not nailed down. Old menus would not be wanted anywhere near the dining room for fear of handing it out. This is why I kept putting "previous" in italics. It is the key word. 

Is it impossible for a menu to be around for 3 weeks? Of course not. 

However, it is highly unlikely. Why not simply grab one of the thousand or more printed just that day as they would be readily at hand?

I have nothing else to add to this discussion.

First up, I promise not to mention the dreaded "d" word.

Just thought I'd mention that the menu has now gone down to a more reasonable £950 with a "make offer" option. It's been around since the beginning of August so I suppose the seller has realised that he pitched it a bit high.

The seller has alo added some new pics with a ruler. If size matters it is an impressive 7" x 2.5"!

I do have something to add. A sincere "good luck" with your new purchase Beatleworld :)

oh well done beatleworld, You beat me to it. Mind you anyone that could have got the seller to respond to emails has my total admiration!!

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service