We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

hi, I got this bible from the elderly next door neighbour before they passed away (8 years ago), and I remember them telling me that someone brought it into their book store they had in the mid 1970s and held onto it to the day I got it from them (I got it because they knew I collected some old poetry/ exile books and did some yard work for them)! sorry! so I need little help with the inscripture for what it says inside, so how can I get it authenticated, who I can take it to? please :) because all I can read is ——-> To my once dear cousin, W Thomas Moore, from his cousin G Woodhouse 1881,  

Views: 505

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hi, I got this bible from the elderly next door neighbour before they passed away (8 years ago), and I remember them telling me that someone brought it into their book store they had in the mid 1970s and held onto it to the day I got it from them (I got it because they knew I collected some old poetry/ exile books and did some yard work for them)! sorry! so I need little help with the inscripture for what it says inside, so how can I get it authenticated, who I can take it to? please :) because all I can read is ——-> To my once dear cousin, W Thomas Moore, from his cousin G Woodhouse 1881

the individual letters could stand for the initials of  the children- just a thought

"...once dear..."? That's odd, no?

It doesn't say "My Once"

Those 2 words are someone's name

What are you trying to authenticate here?

Yes it's an old tattered book with personal writing. 

But the book itself is probably close to worthless and the writings are more than likely not from anyone famous (if that's what your hoping to find)

If you really want to track down the origins, then you'd be better off questioning the family you got this from. 

thank you :) anyone is imtitled to their opinion, it’s just got me really lost (not really but yeah) :) and as I said they got it in the mid 70s and their last name wasn’t a Moore :) 

sorry :(

It reads "To My Own Dear Cousin Mr. Thomas Moore from his Cousin G. Woodhouse 1881.  The initials may be from a verse or something  like "May God Bless and Keep You Now and Forever Amen."  The other name looks like G. M. Cox.   The "Mr." is typical of the formality of such gifts  at the time.  The initials are unusual and may be a saying that was common for the cousins.  The value of such books is normally small unless a rare edition that does not appear to be.  Probably the greatest interest would be a descendant of one of the two.  It is authenticate to what it is no one would try to fake something like that.

thank you very much again :) I am not looking at to selling it, I’m just asking out of curiosity please :) sorry :( I k ow it’s not a famous person but I thought think it’s cool as it’s survived all this time and has a inscripture from 1881 (how many books nowadays would you see something like that if not really into stuff like that, especially a bible, why would someone sign it? so yeah, so a historian / church minister might like this but I’m not selling) :) also I mentioned above I got this from the elderly next door neighbour before they passed away 8 years ago and they got it from someone in the mid 1970s when owned a book store and there last name is not Moore, and they came from Estonia and didn’t really have family because came here as (Australia) as migrant in early 1920 (they died at age of 94) so yeah, thank you and sorry :)

Hang out at old used book stores and items like this and their stories and today's market value will be a great teacher for you. 

Old stuff like this is common. 

It only means something to those who are interested in it.

Finding a gem would be very rare because most old used book owners know their stuff

I must say Shawn is right. There are SO MANY bibles of age...of value? Not...quite as many. Of interest - indeed, to some. Talk to a good old time book dealer and this will be among the questions he has heard the most - "I have this bible...". I wonder if the front and back boards are original or not? The spine is. From what I saw it might be $100 to $200 if intact - my guess. It seems most or all are gilt leather and tooled all around? I don't know what variations exist etc. 

You are very welcome.  I like old books also and have several generations of them from both sides of my family.  Most of them are all inscribed or at least have the person's name since they would be loaned out from time to time.  The "G. M. Cox" if that is the right name appears to have been the owner in 1955.  Likely it passed out of the Moore family prior to that unless he was some sort of relative.  It might take quite a bit of research because Moore is a not uncommon name.  Woodhouse is also not rare I used to know an old fellow here whose name was Woodhouse.  Perhaps some ancestry related boards online might be of some help.  Looking up the ancestry of the poet might be a start to see if he had any Woodhouse relatives.  Good luck with your search I admire your appreciation of the book.

thank you but I’ve taken it to 4 different book stores 2 antique fairs, all I’ve been told that is Thomas Moore was a Irish Poet/ Singer and his father was a minister and the book could value around $200 to $300 but just trying find someone who is actually interested in it is the hard part, it’s a good story piece as before the world wars but finding a person who is historian or family tree advocator for the Moore families is the hard part and my our family isn’t a Moore, we are a Small :) sorry 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service