We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Haven't seen any discussions about this (sorry if there are and I missed 'em).

I have a lot of really nice items that I've always kept all nice and stored away with the idea of 'someday when I have the money, I'll start getting them professionally framed etc.' Well, of course pro framing is terribly expensive and of course I never end up having a couple hundred extra dollars sitting around...SO I finally figured I'd make a compromise and buy some middle of the road frames for the time being so I could at least enjoy some of my signed treasures.

Well, having some things up on the wall gave me quite a thrill, but I started getting paranoid after a while about whether they were going to or are fading. I have absolutely no sunlight getting into this room and only light from a chandelier that hangs in the middle of the room.

So, for all the experts out there: Can regular indoor lighting affect autographs? Do most/any/some of you display your autographs? How much does the supposed protective glass that the pro's frame with really help protect against lighting? Matting do's and don't's?

Any thoughts on any points in how to best preserve and display autographs, and any horror or success stories on these matters would be greatly appreciated. I kind of freaked out and took the things down that I had up for a couple years and put them back into safe storage.

...of course until I get those spare hundreds of dollars to do it right!

Thanks in advance!

Views: 17946

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

GOOD POINTS ALL AROUND.....temperature can also do damage with autos peeling right off items if kept in top loaders for an extensive period of time....I have had that happen before...I don't have many auto photos do to the real estate it takes up displaying them...but yes I would have to agree the sleeve would be a much better long term storage option in a cool area..
I had a signed Jake LaMotta 11x14 in silver paint pen and kept it in a top loader.  because of the extreme heat here, the entire signature and inscription came completely off and stuck to the plastic holder.  The photo is completely clean and it looks like LaMotta signed the holder.  That was my lesson.

Sorry to hear that.

I lost the ""ettitte" off an Andy Pettitte group signed photo. HOURS after it was signed, it totally smeared sliding it into a sleeve. HOURS later it was still wet. I suspect the paint pen wasn't shaken enough and thus the paint wasn't properly mixed.

Since that day I have avoided paint pens like the plague.

You got to shake the picture like a poloroid to insure its dry...I once got Tino Martinez while he was on the Cardinals playing that Mets at Shea sign my Yankees card and as he handed it back to me my thumb landed right on the auto...I was so pissed....but even worse then that I met Reggie Jackson I think back in 2000 or 2001 perhaps for the first time and after he DIDNT want to take pictures with anyone as he said "this an autograph show not a photography shoot" signed my ball which I think cost over $100 with inscription at the time and then rolled the ball across the table back to me smearing the auto terribly....I was so f****** livid I wanted to throw it back in his face...he always and will be the most unpleasant autograph to receive in person...I am still pissed about that...LOL
I agree, Jackson is the rudest athlete I have ever met in person.  I was friends with Steve Ontiveros when he pitched for the A's and when at a spring training game in the late 80's, I asked if he could get a ball signed for me by Jackson.  He said, I can get you anybody you want, except for Jackson.  You want Conseco, McGwire, no problem.  Nobody on the team asks Reggie, he says.  I later waited in the parking lot for Reggie and got him when he went to his Jeep Wagoneer, but he was a pain in the ass and rude as can be, then started yelling at me when other people saw him sign for me and started running over.
wow...i never heard that story...iam going to throw up a forum about jackson probably next week...ive got some great stories...he personally hates me...lol...its a real shame as Reggie Jackson was my childhood hero and that all went out the window meeting him in the flesh 20 years later

Did you get it resigned??? what happened after that?

I have an autographed photo of Pele that is more than 30 years old.

It's now so faded that the only safe place to display it is inside a desk drawer.

Wow, thanks for all the reply's everyone! I really appreciate all the insight.

It's great to see some direct info on all this. It's funny how we spend so much time on the other aspects of autographs, but not much is said about the 'okay, we have the autographs, NOW what do with do with them?!' part of it.

Thanks Steve for bringing in Rick. I'm not familiar with his name. Is this his profession?

Buy an air conditioner.

Would you like an expert opinion? Ok, here goes... :-)

Paper and photographic stock should be stored in an environment that is 50 - 70 degrees Farenheight with a relative humidity between 40 - 60.

The key is consistancy and a stable environment. Wild temperature and humidity swings are bad... even if it is within the ideal range.

For a basement, use a dehumidifier. Set it at 50 RH. You can buy a thermostat with RH indicator at Home Depot for under $10 to monitor how well the dehumidifier is doing.

Put it in the basement with a good dehumidifier and make sure they are at least 2 feet off the floor. Also, be sure no water pipes are directly overhead. They will be fine.

Next, buy Collectibles Insurance just in case the worst happens.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service