We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I started an earlier discussion on TPA services. Knowing both are imperfect up front my question is which, of these two, impresses you the most? And why?

I am getting ready to pick one to use. Most members here are very knowledgeable and I would like some thoughtful, experienced opinions.

Thank-you.

Views: 3642

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No Eric, you are not the "typical collector". Neither am I. And every member who has posted in this discussion is not a typical collector. Not in today's environment. Most collectors are more casual and desire some security along with convenience.

The hobby has changed. It still is comprised on a small network of well versed students of accuracy and respect. But, the market has also grown into a much broader audience. There is a business side.

I am not concerned my autographs may not be genuine. I study and spend hours researching, sharing information, seeking advice. I am not looking for a service to verify what I already know.

I am going with PSA not because I have to but because most of the interested buyers prefer to have independent certification included. The business side demands that. PSA seems to have the deepest roots in the market and I believe it's the best choice in the long run. 

Interesting topic Joe

Might I add something to think about

Maybe do quick opinions with your sale items as it will be much cheaper for you.
Many people see a quick opinion as good as paper certified.

You could go as far as offering to pay half of the bill if the buyer really wants an official certificate.

Either way saves you money

Just a few thoughts my friend

Thanks, Shawn. I did consider quick opinions but in talking to potential buyers, they want the papers. Upfront. Delivered to their door. Easy peasy!

ok Joe

And it looks like you have made the choice on which TPA to back your products

All the best as I really like your inventory

Thanks, Shawn. I like my autographs too! I don't buy anything I do not desire to own myself. I just keep trying to build a quality collection. Part of how I'm able to accomplish that is by offering pieces to others.

Forgot to add...

I would go with PSA over beckett

If you ever decide that you trust any of these TPA’s you will find that you have collected forgeries. All of them are poor these days. The competition for the market of the large volume dealers have made them all bad.

I could go on EBAY and find hundreds of forgeries that have their authentication on them in 20 minutes. They have endorsed the forgery industry. More money in siding with large forgery dealers then there is on the honest side of authentication. 

TPAs have done more harm to the industry then any single forgery ring has. Forgery rings get found out and are identified. Forgeries with these stupid stickers are here to stay in the hobby forever because folks continue to use and tout these crooks. I cringe every time an experience collector points a new collector to them.

I am not pointing any collectors to anything. I just am responding to what a significant percentage of the buyers want. I respect all points of view on this controversial issue.

Not you specifically Joe but I see it happen all the time.

+1 I trust NO sticker. I will not subvert my own thinking, speaking FOR ME. I have no stockholders to answer to. I know I will look out for me more than any paid entity. The folks I might need for a Gleason opinion are here, not at some TPG.

As indeed you should, Eric. I agree that every buyer should understand they have a responsibility to be diligent with their money. Doesn't take a rocket science to see that is not going well currently.

The best way to stop forgeries is to quit supporting them!

Glad I bought my item from you before you sent it in Joe. I like it way better then I would have with the sticker on it.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service