We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I started an earlier discussion on TPA services. Knowing both are imperfect up front my question is which, of these two, impresses you the most? And why?

I am getting ready to pick one to use. Most members here are very knowledgeable and I would like some thoughtful, experienced opinions.

Thank-you.

Views: 3636

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are some great smaller TPA's and IMO, far better than the big names.

Unfortunately the big names is what the common buyer wants as I'm sure you know Joe. 

PSA/DNA is the right choice for your purposes IMO

I've started making small purchases again and all of them come uncerted, BUT come from a VERY reliable source. And I know you know who I'm talking about Joe hahaa
I've posted most of them on here for further opinions and gives me added confidence in my collection. We can never ever be too careful or ask enough questions. 

AML is my most trusted source in so many ways (the invisible sticker TPA haha)

John, I did not know you were a big sports guy. SGC is my personal favorite for cards and items. If you have an item that they are unfamiliar with they will tell you where to send the item. 

Their holders are top notch.

Danny, Baseball and hockey, primarily!!

It's recently been discovered on Net54 that SGC, JSA, and to a much smaller degree PSA/DNA authenticated a number of autographs on T206 baseball cards where an autograph was added to cards already graded by one of the major services.

The forgery group would buy an unsigned card, usually in a major grading service's holder, forge the autograph on it and send it to the TPA. About a dozen or so have been found so far last I heard, and it's gone beyond T206s of course.

When REA found out they had auctioned a number of them, they immediately contacted the buyers and refunded their money. Most of the buyer's hadn't even heard there was a problem. That speaks volumes about REA. Probably cost them $50,000+ so far.

I have started the process of submitting all my autographs to PSA for authentication. The lower value items I will be using their quick opinion services. Higher value items will be submitted to them for a full authentication with a LOA upgrade if not already included in their fee.

No stickers will be placed directly on any autograph item!

I understand this is not a perfect solution but one that gives some additional credibility to the signatures. It will be interesting to see how this affects the bottom line. I will post data how this experiment works out occasionally throughout 2019.

I appreciate all of you who have offered me thoughtful advice in this discussion and in the many other discussions in the past and in the future.

Joe,

I agree with you about wanting to pub the stickers on the back, but I did that in 2007-8 for a couple hundred pieces and a lot of collectors were extremely wary. It dramatically hurt sales on pieces that should have sold immediately. 

I'm going to leave the stickers on the LOA. If the buyer wants to sticker it somewhere they can place it where they please. 

I'll take this one step at a time and see what happens. My intent is simply to cover a larger portion of the current market and include those who want a TPA authentication with the autograph at point of sale.

This is all new to me. I just see a demand that needs to be addressed.

"...No stickers will be placed directly on any autograph item!..."

+1!!! I understand recognizing the "game" - but don't play it. :)

I agree with you on many respects. These TPA services should not have the type of influence over the market as they do. Each one of us has to evaluate what is best of our particular goals and needs.

I have fun playing the game. I'm retired and simply enjoy doing this. It's not about getting rich. With that said, this past year the market has become increasing demanding and I want every advantage as I can get.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service