We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

The 1950s and 60s were decades when Americans were fascinated with all things involving space travel. With the advent of sending men into orbit this increased the interest. In 1966 Gene Roddenberry created the television Sci-Fi adventure Star Trek. It was not an overnight success by any means. Syndication actually put it on the map since it attracted younger non-prime time viewers. Early Star Trek "conventions" were underway almost from the beginning with dedicated fans (mostly younger) showing their support. After the series was cancelled a cartoon series Star Trek: The Animated Series was created with all the major cast except for Walter Koenig providing voices. The lack of Koenig was apparently apparently a cost saving measure. Star Trek became my favorite Sci-Fi show surpassing my previous favorite of Lost in Space.  The series expanded to several movies with many of the original stars in the same roles.

Many Star Trek collectors concentrate on the seven or eight major actors/actresses that had recurring roles on the show. For my own collection I tend to expand that (as I tend to do with all my collections) to include some somewhat minor characters and also favorite guest stars. The ones included below are my idea of a good collection.

Unlike most on AML I tend to dislike multi-signed pieces this is due in part to the fact that I do not frame ans display. I prefer the notebook method. That is simply a matter of personal preference many friends have great framed "walls" of autographs. My list for "major" autographs are the first seven the remainder I like to have since they had identifiable roles on the show. The number after the name is the number of episodes according to imdb.

William Shatner (79) Capt. Kirk
Leonard Nimoy (80) Lcdr. Spock
DeForrest Kelley (76) Lcdr. Dr. McCoy
James Doohan (66) Lcdr. Scott  (One is credit only)
Nichelle Nichols (70) Lt. Uhura
George Takei (52) Lt. Sulu
Walter Koenig (36) Lt. Chekov
Majal Barrett (36) Nurse Chapel/computer voice
Grace Lee Whitney (8) Yoeman Janice Rand
John Winston (11) Lt. Kyle
Eddie Paskey (60) Lt. Leslie/others
David L. Ross (9) Lt. Galloway/others
Sean Morgan (7) Lt. O'Neill/others
Paul Baxley (10) Security/others

As for guests I merely add ones that were personal favorites of mine. Spock's parents played by Mark Lenard and Jane Wyatt are examples. John Fiedler, Elisha Cook, Jr.,William Schallert, Lee Bergere, William Campbell, Bruce Hyde, Stanley Adams, Roger Carmel, Ian Wolfe, Ken Lynch, Byron Morrow, James Gregory and many others are on my list.

As a collector I am more interested in the signature than the photograph it is on. While I like to have them on Star Trek items is not a necessity for me.

Tags: DeForrest, Doohan, George, James, Kelley, Koenig, Leonard, Nichelle, Nichols, Nimoy, More…Shatner, Star, Takei, Trek, Walter, William

Views: 5158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you so much. That's good information.

So not likely that it was a couple of real ones completed by a couple of fakes? it's not an extensive cast signing anyway, many are missing from the photo. I am sure it was someone's pride and joy, well I know it was, and kept in a safe for 25 years.

I really appreciate your expertise on here. I have done a lot of research too and agree some sigs are not great examples, especially Nimoy, really muddy barely working, but all the points of reference are there according to my eyes and research. So, yes, not an ideal piece, but someone might like it. I don't really have any doubts it is real. 

I bought an imperfect, but real Marilyn Monroe and I love it, it had been cut down around just the signature (the imperfection) and the Warmest Regards is clearly removed, but I am very happy to own it. I bought it from the same guy as this Star Trek.

I'm confident those are all authentic mid-80s signatures. The Nimoy appears odd, but I have seen that sig style more than once dating from that period.  Almost looks like he grabbed Majel's pen for the inscription!  Shatner is fine.  I only wish you could get that signature quality today when laying down $80.

So, yes a bit messy, and not one for the high end market, but a nice keepsake for a fan.  Ironically, with Takei and Nichols still making appearances, it could be completed as a full cast piece.

Yes, his current is getting less than..stellar.

Here is mine along with Spock and Bones.

Click for full image:

This is a great collection.  DeForest Kelley is the only one I have seen that was signed as his character, "Dr. McCoy."  A great vintage collection!

Thanks Charley, I appreciate your opinion very much.  And very good point about Takei and Nichols!

I agree about Magel's pen and thought that too, added later. Does it cost $80 for Shatner's signature? I don't think the people the other night at his show got that for their extra $250 each. They had some kind of goodie bag, but he only spent 10 minutes with those people, a quick Q & A I gather.

SAM GILMAN (1915-1985) was a prolific actor on television in shows like Gunsmoke, Shane The Untouchables, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Have Gun Will Travel, Kojak, and many others. In movies, he appeared in ONE EYED JACK, AWAY ALL BOATS, and THE ROBE.   He often had very small roles but was always impressive.  He was in the western-themed Star Trek episode "The Spectre of the Gun" playing "Doc Holiday."   I have not encountered a Gilman autograph, but this is his World War II draft registration signature.

On my want list for a while. But finally found. 

Maggie Thrett RIP.  Playing Ruth Bonaventure from *Mudd's Women*   Sad to hear of her recent passing. My *Mudd's Women* group

Very sad news indeed.  That was one of my favorite episodes.  

Sam Gilman is a very scarce autograph, especially in photographs.  That was a great find.  

SUSANNE WASSON (1942-          ) was in a few television shows such as Alfred Hitchcock Presents and Hart to Hart.  She did movies such as Stingray (1985), Stitches (1985) and Rain Without Thunder in 1992.  Despite not having a long list of shows and movies she worked in each of the decades from 1960s-1990s.  She appeared in the 1966 Star Trek episode "Dagger of the Mind."   This is an illustrated 3x5 sheet.

Most cool. That episode featured the very first Vulcan Mind Meld. And some interesting ideas from a female scientist regarding a Christmas party. Also, Inspector Luger! This and the one with Lord Garth are quite interesting takes on the idea of penal/rehabilitation colonies.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service