We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Steve asked me to start a new thread since some were having a lot of issues with regards to whether or not the through the mail autographs of Jerry Lee Lewis are real or not.  I will post some examples of what we have been getting recently and some know in person examples.   These TTM signatures are not cheap.  You have to pay $50 for them to his box office box.  The question is are they real or not.  Roger has said that he has never seen Mr. Lewis sign this way and it looks to perfect - like a woman's signature.  

Please post your thoughts here and examples.

thanks

Mark

Views: 61454

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

While there should be absolutely no doubt as to the authenticity of this signed keyboard, how well does that signature compare to the Barnes and Noble book signatures?

Hi Martin,

Yours looks like the Jerry Lee Lewis signature that we’re all in agreement on is signed by Jerry.  The shape of the tale of the Y is what tells me that more than anything. It’s softer and loops towards the right, whereas the books signatures for the most part goes pretty straight down.

If you can post a full on signature from the top then we may be able to tell more.

So are we saying that Marc's (John Shaw here) IP signature was signed by Whitten?

Good question. The ones I think are Whitten secretarial Ys typically have a strong, quick, downstroke. If they go back up, the ones I've see have traced a little back up the tail of the Y before going right, or go immediately right from the bottom. The ones below are common examples of that trait.

The tails of the Ys I that think are signed by JLL typically don't descend as sharply and quickly, like Marc's above. Many but not all head back up, and when they do they tend to start with at least a bit of a loop. 

The rest of Marc's IP looks like JLL's signature to me.

This is what we were told earlier in the discussion as to why the PSA/DNA authenticated book signature isn't authentic.

Reply by roger epperson on October 8, 2015 at 5:33pm

Real quick and these few posts will be all for a while, NO, the "Y" does not loop nor does the upstroke of the "J: flow through the letter.

Both of these things are also true of Marc's JLL.

The "Y"s of some of the original send-in "Whitten exemplars" and book signatures don't appear to descend as sharply as the examples above. Also, I've seen a number of authentic JLLs in which the tails of the "Y" head back up very sharply.

The tails of the book signature "Y"s end abruptly, ascend sharply to the left, or ascend sharply to the right. I've seen these same traits in other JLL signatures.

This does not look like JLL's signature to me. Calling out features is a way to help identify the signer of the autograph. The look of the autograph itself is really where it's at. The ones I think are Whitten signed look overall like them. They have a distinct look of their own, including the one you posted above a few minutes ago. It's not that they're red or in a book. It's the feel of the autograph yourself.

Has anyone written to Judith or JLL this year requesting a TTM autograph with payment?  I have been doing one a year around Christmas time, but Id like an update if anyone has one.

I was actually planning to suggest today that we start writing summary articles on our more educational discussions so collectors don't have to weave through tens or hundreds of pages to get the information they need.

JLL was the first one I was going to suggest: a summary article worked on and published by two regular members of the discussions. Covering the two different positions on the ones many think are by Whitten, as well as ones some think are family secretarials, should be covered so the reader is aware of the different views on controversial issues.

The group can choose on the two members involved or I can. 

Thoughts?

Just saw this signed album posted in a Facebook group last week. It's newly signed and there was another photo of Jerry Lee signing it while standing up.

This one looks like JLL signed it to me.

Let's look at another JLL signed limited edition, the Mean Old Man CD inserts. These were discussed all the way back on page one of this thread. This "Best of JLL" LP is claimed to have been signed in-person in 1994. Obviously, it's from The Signature Library. Does this look like an authentic JLL signature?

http://www.thesignaturelibrary.com/products-details.php?product_id=...

Ballroom, I can't find the "Mean Old Man" CD inserts on page one. Was it among the images Mark Roberts had posted that are no longer there?

Regarding this one, I don't like to comment when I can't see the autograph fully, but it's from The Signature Library, which I consider extremely reliable, and the autograph doesn't look too untypical, so I will:

The J looks like JLL's to me. His rarely come to a sharp point at the bottom as it moves back up and it's hard to reliably tell either way on this because of the overlay, but it doesn't seem to end with a sharp point like the ones that I think are signed by Whitten do.

The Y looks like JLL's to me.

The descenders on the Ls are a lot bigger than most, but the names don't look out of whack to me.

From what I see, I feel strongly that the one above was signed by JLL.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service