We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I started this thread to gather information on Roger Keith "Syd" Barrett signatures to hopefully determine just how rare or common he is to collect. 

As well as hopefully determine current market values.

Views: 10933

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

what was the issue pprice when they were first sold.

these are always expenses.

bowie signed around 1000 and his price was 1000$ for  the mick rock

usualy there high hundreds to 1500  when ive seen them issued for the arists they do.

I can't find the original listing price, but I would assume your numbers are close. 

I would also like to know the original price so I can gauge what I think is a fair purchase price now.

I bought the Barrett "Classic" edition book which should be a great piece of information as it includes rare photo and hand written letters and photos of Syd's artworks that he destroyed.

Barrett (Classic Edition) + LIMITED SYD BARRETT PRINT OFFER!

Barrett (Signature Edition) + LIMITED SYD BARRETT PRINT OFFER!

There is also this Signature Edition that comes w/ a second book of photos by Irene Winsby from a 1967 photo shoot. The very SAME photo shoot where the rare signed photo came from. And it was Irene's personal photo that she got signed (so the story goes).

BTW... this book does not contain Syd's original autograph.

Another thing to work on - it appeared last night that some of the Rock books(?) were signed on an inserted "book plate" and others directly on the opposite page or the next. That would impact value I believe.

Hmmm that does raise eyebrows, since it has been stated that ALL Syd sigs were done on book plate and I have not heard mention of any actually book page signings. Syd signed the papers in the privacy of his own home and as far as I know, nobody witnessed him signing. It was a mail order business deal.

Mick signed the book page and Syd signed book plates.

Can you post examples please?

Ah it was the way some scans were shown in some sales w/o borders - I took that to be a page in some w/o the context. Yes, seems all inserted plates - I think that aligns with what his family rep said. 

Indeed yes it does. 

It's an interesting story. And boy would I like to know more, but nobody is saying much how this all came about and the processes taken. I would think something this important would have a detailed story to go with it. And this to me raises eyebrows. I need to hire Columbo to investigate haha

I've been a Syd Barrett fan for over 30 yrs and let me say this... it's incredible that Syd signed so many plates in 2002. There should be a detailed article somewhere that explains all this. Better yet... the story should have been included in Mick's book. Mick only makes very vague comments.

That's it !!!  I'm writing Mick Rock a letter.

Well, just one more thing. Could it not be said most of the rest of the sigs we collect have less "backstory"?

Yes... but many other sigs do NOT have the importance of these one's by Barrett.

I know you are new to studying Syd, but let me assure you that this is a momentous moment in Rock history.

And your buddy Bowie is a big Barrett fan as well haha

Hi Sean, I don't know about any meaningful correlation between the initial publication price and current values (quite a spread which indicates unknowns perhaps), but from the items available at the moment, if the example at $3,500 or so was a true steal, and with the number of folks looking at it, that price might be considered high as it has not sold quickly? How do you interpret this?

IMHO this price of $3500 is far too high. Especially when I can get personally owned Syd items that are surfacing from the Cheffin's auction of 2006 at much cheaper prices.

But I am watching the bidding to see what the market values are these days.

In the end, it's all a matter of what we want to pay and what an item means to us. 

The MR books are great, but an unsigned book can be had for fairly cheap. BUT... these signed editions also represent a huge moment in the life of Barrett. So each buyer must weigh all the factors.

The fact this item has not sold, tells me that it's too high and the seller is not accepting reasonable offers. It's also quite possible that most Syd Barrett fans are not economically well off. He has more of an underground following compared to the Gilmour Floyd yrs. Also... maybe collectors aren't as interested in Syd as mush as I and others are. And this I know to be true in my yrs of discussing Syd. It's funny how so many people call themselves Floyd fans but so many don't even know who Syd Barrett is. This is also a common conversation I've had over and over. 

I'll be able to assess more after these auctioned items end.

BTW... thx for ur continued support in all the research both on here and in private. I'd love to analyse his signature on here, but you know why I don't do it.

The Collector edition 950 copies (Rock only signed) started around 285GBP

The Deluxe edition 320 of the 950 copies (signed by Rock & Barrett) is still under investigations haha

It's a beautifully made book.

I've written Mick Rock an email and let's see what comes back.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service