We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I started this thread to gather information on Roger Keith "Syd" Barrett signatures to hopefully determine just how rare or common he is to collect. 

As well as hopefully determine current market values.

Views: 10908

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is for you Eric.

This does not look like a person who wishes to have strangers knock on his door and be asked to sign autographs. 

Wouldn't you agree?

But there was a time he looked like this and I have seen pictures of him happily enjoying the company of others. I forget when these photos surfaced and who took them. I believe it was for a special photo shoot and interview. 

So maybe he signed some items during these years.

He left the Floyd in '68 and here he is in '69 

Then Syd did his solo LP's in 1970 and here he is in 1971. I believe these 2 photos were taken by Mick Rock.

In 1974 he formed a band and tried a come back that lasted one show and he quit. Tired of fans bothering him at his door he moved from Cambridge to London to find seclusion. He got coaxed into 4 days of recording at Abbey Road studios that amounted to nothing as he had no interest. This would basically mark the end of his musical career. 

Syd 1975 - This is the famous photo and visit to Abbey Road studios while "Wish You Were Here" LP was in the final stages. Syd apparently jokingly asked if he could play with the band. 

Syd in 1981 

Syd 1982- he walked from London to Cambridge to live with his Mother and there he would remain retired and reclusive.

In 1992, Atlantic records offered him 75000GBP to record anything he wanted which he declined.

Syd (photo from 2001)

Syd riding his Bike in 2002

From 1968 to 1975 you can see how quickly he deteriorated. Then it seems some sparks of life may have come, but it has been reported that he was very distant and just wanted to be left alone. 

The point of this is not to tell his life story, but is meant to give an indication of the unlikelyhood that he would be signing many if any fan autographs.  

This is the link to the longer and more detailed chronology of Syd's life and where I got this information and photos from.....

http://atagong.com/astral/sydslife.htm

I missed the 15 min edit window, but this photo from 2002 shows what Syd looked like when he signed the book plates for Mick Rock.

Sean,
We have all seen these sorts of photographs before. We did not need to see them again. Why did you say the Mick Rock book signatures were "impossible" for him to sign, that how would "never", that he was not capable - that I "did not know what I am talking about" - especially after your "24 years research". But, now, you believe those books are signed by him? Forgive me but that is a fast change after 1.5 days. Family has agreed, Rocks explanation aligns - John believed them and the backstory - sigs look appropriate - what has really changed to alter your mind?
Has it changed? Upon re-reading it appears you have reverted to believing Barrett not sign them? The Rock book bears false signatures? I think those are likely genuine Barrett signatures. 

If I went from about 12 exemplars to suddenly 41 in a day or so,  I would take a good look at the whole and make new observations while reassessing my previous positions.

Wow man... I don't even know how to reply to this barrage of BS !!!

It's a learning curve dude... can't you see that? !!

I didn't realize my posts were going to offend you so much.

You can save the clinical attacks on me thx very much.... jeezusss

From day one in pm's you haven't understood my points on Syd, and I see you still don't. 

Calm down or save these sort of comments for private messages.

And stop trying to quote me, because you are incorrect on many points.

Cheers

PS... you may wish to delete your comments to clean up this thread from unnecessary drama.

Yes it is a learning curve. This reversal of position alone - from Syd "would never, trust me" to "Syd has" - indicates enough to me. I am saying it's all worth looking at again. This change was rather surprising to me after 24 years study. That appeared his hand in those books. 

Are you studying me or Syd?

We don't need to start from the beginning and it's not worth looking at it all again. It's already been said.  Just follow along to where we are now.

And again... STOP trying to quote me or interpret hiden meanings in my words because you are getting it wrong. I NEVER said I studied Syd for 24 years.... I SAID I have been a fan for over 30 years. You can intermix "study" and "fan" all you want.

You're working on my last nerve. 

Here are a few exerpts from a post by Tim Willis from 2002.

On a blistering hot day, pacing the cracked tarmac pavement in this suburban Cambridge street, I wonder if I can act honourably by him. When the DJ Nicky Horne doorstepped him in the 80s, Barrett said, 'Syd can't talk to you now.' Perhaps, in his own way, he was telling the truth. But I could talk to him as Roger; ask him if he was still painting, as reported. I could pass on regards from friends he knew before he became Syd.

Two housewives in the street say he ignores their 'Good mornings' when he goes out to buy his Daily Mail and changing brands of f***. Apart from his sister, they don't think he has any visitors - not even workmen. But they don't see why I shouldn't take my chances. It's been a few years since backpackers camped by his gate. 'He didn't open the door for them, and he probably won't for you.'

So I walk up the concrete path of his grey pebble-dashed semi, try the bell and discover that it's disconnected. At the front of the house, all the curtains are open. The side passage is closed to prying eyes by a high gate. I knock on the front door and, after a minute or two, look through the downstairs bay window. Where you might expect a television and a three-piece suite, Barrett has constructed a bare, white-walled workshop. Pushed against the window is a tattered pink sofa. On the hardboard tops, toolboxes are neatly stacked, flexes coiled, pens put away in a white mug.

Then, a sound in the hall. Has he come in from the back garden? Perhaps it needs mowing, like the front lawn - although, judging by the mound of weeds by the path, he's been tidying the beds today.

I knock again, and hear three heavy steps. The door flies open and he's standing there. He's stark naked except for a small, tight pair of bright-blue Y-fronts; bouncing, like the books say he always did, on the balls of his feet.

He bars the doorway with one hand on the jamb, the other on the catch. His resemblance to Aleister Crowley in his Cefalu period is uncanny; his stare about as welcoming...

'Mister Barrett?'

'Yes.'

His voice is deeper than on any recordings, more cockneyfied than on the TV interviews he gave in 67. Behind him, the hall is clean but bare, the floorboards mostly covered in linoleum. I mention someone dear to him, from his childhood. She'd be coming to Cambridge in a couple of weeks, and wondered if Barrett might like a visit?

'No.'

He stands and stares, less embarrassed than me by the vision of him in his underpants.

'So is everything all right?'

'Yeah.'

'You're still painting?'

'No, I'm not doing anything,' he says (which is true - he's talking to me). 'I'm just looking after this place for the moment.'

'For the moment? Are you thinking of moving on?'

Advertisement

'Well, I'm not going to stay here for ever.' He pauses a split second, delivers an unexpected 'Bye-bye', and slams the door.

I'm left like others before me, trying to work out just what he meant. 'I'm not going to stay here for ever.' Does he just mean, 'One day, I might move house.' Or is it a nod to the fate that awaits us all? A coded message that he may re-emerge into the world - perhaps show new work or perform? And is opening the door in your underpants an unwitting demonstration of self-confidence, or an eccentricity, or worse? I retrace my steps, cross the main road to my car where I write a note that I hope is tactful: 'Dear Mr Barrett, I'm sorry to have disturbed your sunbathing. I didn't have time to mention that I'm writing a book on you...' I plead my case, give my telephone number, and return down the cracked pavement.

As I reach the gate, I see him weeding in the front corner of the garden, on his knees.

'Hi,' I say. 'I've written you a note.'

'Huh,' he says, not looking up, throwing roots behind him.

'May I leave it?' He straightens and stares into my eyes, but doesn't answer. He's wearing khaki shorts now, and gardening gloves, which aren't really suited to receiving the note - and I would be tempting fate to rest it on the side of the wheelbarrow which he has bought with him.

'Shall I put it through the letterbox?'

'It's nothing to do with me,' he says. So I do.

'Nice day,' I say, on leaving. 'Goodbye.'

He doesn't reply, and I never hear from him.

THE END
Tim Willis went on to write/publish a book called "Madcap" 2003.
Yes this is on the internet for all to see if you can find it. But it does give insight to just how detached he was from the public and IMO offers more evidence of the unlikelyhood of him signing autographs for fans from at least the late 70's to death in 2006. 
Syd's sister claims that he was not mentally ill nor a recluse... that he only retreated into himself and did not like to socialize. 
There's just too much evidence showing that the majority of signatures by Roger Keith "Syd" Barrett are mostly based from pre-1975ish to Mick Rock's "Psychedelic Renegades" book to the items of the Cheffins auction. Of course there will be many pieces that friend's and family own that we may never see. 
The Holy Grail of Pink Floyd signatures would be something signed by all 5 members. I'd love to know if this exists. This is obviously a reprint example. They played 4 shows as a 5 piece and on the 5th show, they didn't pick Syd up. 

So with all this being said, here is my most prized possession to come in the mail.

Roger Barrett's personally owned art book w/ his hand crafted book cover and inscribed only 5 months before his death.

Roger is coming to Canada

Congratulations! 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service