We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

This is one method I use in authentication. What are some methods you employ?

To change the subject, in the recent Vincent Price SP discussion there was some question of authenticity. I showed first images below, under the SP, of several "tools" and it was suggested I make a dedicated discussion of this subject. I used one method that has proven very useful over the years. Viewing signatures alongside known exemplars (I miss TheCead!) flipped backwards and/or upside down in Photoshop to view form and negative spaces without the eye seeing the normal letter shapes and relations clinically from a different POV. Examples below. The Gleasons shown in negative allow a better view of ink dispersal and weight. I have not encountered many if any forgeries that can withstand this sort of scrutiny. The bad material sticks out immediately. The Gleasons can be enlarged by clicking.

What are some of the methods you use to aid in authentication?

Views: 976

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Steve, much appreciated. Glad to help. :)

Here are the second two again, this time employing your method.

Upside down (unknown top, lithograph bottom):

Upside down and flipped horizontally (unknown top, lithograph bottom):

These two are a very good match, IMO.  Both what I call her scruffy autograph, both within a year or so of each other.

Yes, a definite match. The loops help so much. Very hard to suppress one's own loops.

Thanks, Eric.

But do these second two help inform your opinion on the first unknown example that I posted?

Or are you still undecided on that one?  It’s a toughie.

EDIT: Apologies, just seen your reply above.  I’ll wait until you’ve examined them tomorrow.

It's late here - I need to enhance the questioned item and view all in a few ways. Yes, the new examples will help.

Hi Eric (and anyone else who knows me).

Hope you are well. Without doubt the upside down method is great for Mr Bowie and a method I use on both authentic and signatures that look close. Its great with his numerals too which can be a big clincher when he has rushed his signature or was in a jostling mob.

All the best and thanks for raising this.

Andy

Hi Andy!

Good to hear from you!

I hope you are well. Thank you for chiming in and the kind words. I'v been using this technique for over 10 years - you are the only other I am aware of, so far, who uses it too. I find it very effective. We'll chat soon :)

Here is the technique used to authenticate my new extremely rare Jackie Gleason signed photo. The new example is on the right. Conclusion - obviously authentic. Click for larger image.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service