We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Tom Brady is doing private signings through Tri-Star and Steiner. (See below).  I'm interesting in writing a post for Forbes where I cover sports memorabilia. I don't begrudge Brady, I suppose, though I'm a Jets fan.

Three questions, please. 

Has anyone ever seen such a high cost for a star to sign your item? 

Can anyone thinking of other stars at the peak of their fame and prowess signing? 

Finally what do folks think of "private" signings? While half the fun is meeting your hero, if you have a prized possession, it's the only option.

David

P.S. The price of Brady inscriptions is as much as as the vast majority of autographs. 

YOUR ITEM

PRICE

Your flat Item up to and including 11x14

$649

Your flat Item larger than 11x14, mini helmet, or football

$699

Your full size helmet, or NFL licensed jersey (jersey numbers not accepted)

$749

Your artwork, game used, or multi-signed item with 5 or more autographs already on item, or any other item not listed

Contact Us

Inscription - Choose 1 from: 3x SB MVP, SB 49 MVP, SB 38 MVP, SB 36 MVP

$179

Inscription - Choose 1 from: 2x NFL MVP, 4x SB Champ, SB 49 Champs, 07 NFL MVP, 10 NFL MVP

$199

Personalization up to 20 characters

$299

Notes: ONE (1) INSCRIPTION PER ITEM. Tom will not inscribe roman numerals. No trophies or trophy plates.

Views: 2038

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess emotion plays a large role in what a collector spends their money on. Common sense and a look at what autographs of the legends sell for in today's marketplace this seems to be a poor choice to buy these overpriced autographs. On the other hand, if someone has the money and thinks that highly of a specific person, by all means splurge! Except for Paul McCartney, there is NOT a living person I would spend that much on.

I don't see any of these high priced items as being good investments.  I think the whole market has gone whacky.   I have several Brady autographs and I didn't pay more than 200 for any of them.  but if you don't study him, then the best option if you want an authentic version is to pay the money they are demanding.

That's what's confusing me Joe. To see what they are selling for doesn't make me feel so stupid? Love to see your McCartney sometime. Big fan.

Emotion is definitely a big part of that.  When the Packers won the Super Bowl a few years back, I spent more than I should have on a Rodgers 16 x 20, and a bit more than I should have for a few other Packers players. At no point did I think Rodgers was a good deal ($300 - 350 w/ 2 inscriptions, I think) and I got a pretty lazy "A.R." signature. On the other hand, he'd done virtually no signings up to that SB win, so that was at least part of the appeal.  After that win, prices got absurd (and Rodgers kept going up) for many of the other players (Woodson $250, Clay went north of $100, etc), and I lost interest in spending more.

I compare that to the price of music autographs.  Since, with the exception of U2 (who are actually better signers than you'd think), most of my favorite artists are still on the rise and still sign in person for nothing.  I don't mind paying to see a show, buying a record or poster and having it signed for a relatively small chunk of change, as opposed to going to a signing (or sending stuff in), paying to have some rich athlete scribble on a photo for 10x the price. Plus I get an actual experience out of the whole thing.

I understand that people who collect sports might not care about music or other celebs. I'm just saying that that's my own personal point of comparison.  It's hard for me to get excited about dropping $300, 400, 500+ on my favorite athlete when my favorite band signs whatever I want for nothing.

I don't like the Patriots, I hate the Packers. I don't buy on emotion like you Rich.
Attachments: No photo uploads here

This wasn't meant to be argumentative.  You're allowed to spend your money on whatever you want, as am I. David asked for opinions on this Brady signing and what athletes are charging these days at private signing events. I gave my opinion, and I think my points are valid. The sports autograph market has little appeal to me anymore, primarily do to the excessive prices and detachment from the fans (i.e. private signings becoming more the rule than the exception).

Side note which might be more damning of the state of the sports autograph market. A few years ago I recall seeing Colt McCoy, who was at this point decidedly in "bust" territory, charging something like $70-80 minimum per signature. I looked at that, wondering what I missed . . . and wondering even more about who was actually going to pay that silly price.

Here, here Joe. I agree with you about Paul McCartney.

here is an example of Brady's in person signature:

That's a pretty amazing signature, even by modern standards. But is Brady a willing in-person signer? I would think the odds are pretty slim of getting one this way are pretty slim. 

Is this helmet from your collection 

no David, I personally would not want to own this. its an example I pulled off ebay.  from what I understand he is a very difficult autograph to obtain in person.

Okay, thank you. 

Got my signed Riddell Proline helmet several years ago from a paid signing. Good to see his value keeps going up.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service