We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I was a chauffeur for a prestigious limousine service in Beverly Hills for a short time during the early/mid 90's. I had the honor of driving, among a hand full of Hollywood elite, Tony Curtis to the famous/infamous photo shoot he did for the 1995 Vanity Fair "Hollywood Issue" where he and Jack Lemmon were supposed to recreate the roles they portrayed in the 1950 classic film "Some Like It Hot", directed by legendary film director Billy Wilder (who I also drove to a photo shoot for this issue. That autograph to follow...). The photographer assigned to this shoot, famed celebrity photographer Annie Leibovitz, who is known for having her subjects photographed in "out of the ordinary" situations, asked the boys to pose for a "grab shot' between costume changes, and this is the photo that wound up being published in the magazine. It gained most of its controversy when it became an ad for the magazin on a huge billboard above the famous "Sunset Strip" in West Hollywood. After the shoot, Mr. Curtis chose not to remove the makeup for the ride back to his home in Beverly Hills. I never asked a celebrity for a signature unless I was addressed by my name (and I was never turned down an autograph by sticking to that rule). Needless to say, Mr. Curtis, who was an open book in regards to the questions I had regarding his career, several times said, "Well, Gilbert...." Green Light!!! What a priceless experience. So when we arrived at his home, I asked if I would be out of line if asked for a signature and he most graciously complied. But before he signed, I asked him, since he still had his makeup on, if he minded placing a "kiss" with his lipstick on the on the limo company placard (whose name I've blurred out) and sign around it, and as you can see, he did... When the Issue came out, I took the photo and the autographed placard and had them framed. As a collector, one of my most prized possessions...

So, I'm new to this community and am curious to find out what items like this in my collection (which have been sitting in my garage for ages...) are worth, with no official "coa's" besides an "I was there and got the autograph myself" certification.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Gilbert A. Cadena 

Tags: Curtis, Hollywood, Tony, classic

Views: 386

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello, interesting story of your meeting with Mr. Curtis. The signature is probably worth more as a memory than in a $dollar$ amount. Tony Curtis' signature alone is a sub-$100 autograph. Framed nicely like yours with your story would probably net in the $100-$200 range. Probably less if you just throw it up on eBay with a seven-day listing.

Thanks Brick for your input.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service