We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

As someone who collects many old, scarce and obscure actors and actresses it is sometimes years before I even find one.  Any one with deep pockets can get the Beatles, Jim Morrison, Marilyn Monroe etc they are expensive but not particularly rare.  There are far smaller numbers of autographs of stars such as Thayer David, Roy Engel, Harry Antrim, Joe Crehan, Walter Baldwin even Burt Mustin.  My problem is the "grass is always greener" complex with autographs.  I have four Burt Mustins, three Walter Baldwins, three Joe Crehan's, two Harry Antrims and one each of Engle and David.  Yet I still bid whenever see one of them!  Somehow they are so scarce in my mind the one that is up to buy seems better than the ones I have.  My great pal Sam Lawson (who in my opinion has the finest Western autograph collection anywhere) and I have often discussed this.  We are both the same way and end up with multiples of some extremely rare autographs.  I hate to sell and only have in a very instances where it was something I no longer was interested in.  Invariably I regret selling.  I would like to say  when I buy it is always better than what I have at least there would be some logic in that.  Perhaps it was being raised by parents who were grew up in the Great Depression.  I never throw away anything that I believe I can fix or might find a use for.  I have scrap lumber (that I have frequently used) that my father kept and buckets of used roofing nails when my grandfather replaced his barn roof.  They say the first step in recovery is recognizing there is a problem.  I realize I do not need to try to get every rare actor I see the trouble is getting my fingers to agree.   I do set limits for myself and will not bid above a certain amount unless it is one of the 15 I need to complete my Andy Griffith Show collection then I will bid no matter how many trips to the blood bank it takes.  So although it is not New Years yet I am going to try to stop bidding on anything that I have a perfectly good example of.

Views: 1093

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

give up Scott, there is no cure for this.  I probably have over 50 Carl Yastrzemski autographs and I still buy them.

Indeed. I try to upgrade and I am trying not to keep doubles. I have sold my "other" Waters and Gilmour's and Bowie's in this vein (no dupes) and I did not go crazy. But I also have a box of new spare fuses from my mothers mothers first house in 1962 - and I don't even collect that stuff!

Nice thread.  I'm sure most serious collectors have thought along these lines.  I think one of the issues is when you have spent a lot of time into finding out ways to obtain an autograph from someone.  When they show up again, you can't help but think it makes sense to maximise on all the hours you put in the previous time.  The second attempt you already have the knowledge, and hopefully it's easier.   

I have 30+ Jimmy Stewarts... around 50 Mariano Riveras... a dozen Mantles... and don't get me going on astronauts.

It is a disorder. LOL

Agreed.

I own over 120 Tom Tresh autographs.

I will admit, that the majority of my Tom Tresh sigs cost me under $10.00.

Scott who else do you need from T.A.G.S. just curious. I know I wouldn't have them but am curious who you need. That's very impresdive. You do have me as a beneficiary in your will. Lol.
Scott who else do you need from T.A.G.S. just curious. I know I wouldn't have them but am curious who you need. That's very impresdive. You do have me as a beneficiary in your will. Lol.

OMG is there a counselor in the house?  haha

As long as your house isn't getting foreclosed..... you don't have a problem LMAO

Like goodcat I also sensed some need to talk things out in the original post.

I have to be honest that I have also felt a bit too addicted to buying at times, though not so much as regards multiples or even as regards autographs. I think I've become more choosy over the last 2-3 years and can now walk away more easily from things that are "good value" but not really good or extraordinary in some way.  

So long as the collecting habit doesn't get to the point of stressing you out, be it due to feelings of guilt or over-indebtedness, I would just relax and go with the flow. If you can bring yourself to select the three best of each star you collect and sell the others I'm sure that would make you feel more in command of your own destiny.

All sounds a bit heavy I know.

@a pug called eva sez: I think I've become more choosy over the last 2-3 years and can now walk away more easily from things that are "good value" but not really good or extraordinary in some way.  

In my view, this is the sign of a seasoned collector... and it is a great challenge to get to this stage.

A few years ago I learned to focus on quality over quantity and to avoid impulse buys. But before that I had 20-something years of accumulating stuff I only half-cared about, but I bought it on impulse or because the price was right. 

The problem is, down the road the "cheap commons" are tough to unload and take a lot of effort and time. I have binders full of $15 - $20 signed photos I don't know what to do with.

The good stuff will always move fast and easily when the time comes.

In my view, one $200 item is worth a lot more than ten $20 items.

I look at it this way. Collecting is about enjoyment. As long as it's not causing you any unnecessary stress.....be happy!

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service