We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

This is just a general question really, who do you think right now will make a good investment for 50 years?

Now let me rephrase, I don't mean The Beatles or Elvis. I mean more modern artists. Will Radiohead be a band that will be worth what The Stones are worth right NOW in 50 years? Who would be a good modern band to invest in now?

Who will stand the test of time?

Views: 3027

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Joe, your talking about hollywood celebrities not muscians on the vintage stuff,is that correct?

My main experience is Vintage Hollywood although I have been studying music the past 6 months or longer. Yes, the big names are doing well but there is a tremendous amount of influential artists that are barely being sought after. 

I just think the hobby, in general, is suffering. I think we still have a solid number of good collectors out there but new collectors are not being added to the ranks as fast as the material available. Which is good news for buyers except, of course, when it comes time to sell.

Quality always sells but it takes longer than what it used to.

The definition of "quality" seems not too popular for discussion from what I have seen and has also widened considerably - signatures or the photographs. I still and will prefer Official promotional lab photographs with label/artists info © and photographers name/stamp and good placement/contrast with typical or better signature quality over some unknown unofficial possibly cheap lab or even pc print from some IP seeker or overpriced seller (ppc),perhaps to slap on eBay and explain its rushed atypical appearance (and full price or more) as "IP" (not slamming all IP here folks). 

I've been discussing this with another - I will try to make a visual representation of "A,B and C" qualities as I see them.

It also depends a lot on the rarity of the item itself. For me the autograph mainly adds to the value of the item, it is the total package that is interesting.
I will never collect index cards or pictures like 11x14's. Maybe on rare occasions I'll buy a nice picture to frame it but I much rather have an original tour programme, a vinyl first pressing, an original poster, a postcard, etcetera...
I'm sure those will keep their value, with some items there might only be 20 worldwide. That's why I think the Springsteen books for example will never raise in value because there are 10000's out there.
A fully signed Oasis first pressing in near mint condition will surely raise in value. Same for a first pressing Pearl Jam LP. I was saving for the avocado album Roger Epperson sold but I think Paul here catched it :-).
But that's my opinion, nobody knows for sure.
I did indeed grab the avo album.
Steve grad will be right with his big Metallica collection!

Collecting genres in my opinion is a smart move because some of these artist tie in with each other.
Rap
Grunge
Metal
Brit pop
And its a great way to dissersify your collection making it more appealing.

agreed

Except some of these artists have horrible graphs!

Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West...Etc. Why would you want them when they are illegible and hardly recognizable?

And for me (don't hurt me) i wouldn't want any of the Nirvana signatures without knowing exactly where/when and who got it signed. The print style signature is far to easy to forge.

And then even with Beatles signatures there have been so many fakes that are getting close to real you almost have to have a coa from Caiazzo, Tracks, or Cox.
You read my mind Adam, the stop sign in the middle of the road is having Kayne, etc authenticated. The modern graphs.

Metallica is dramatically rising up in value. Fully signed "Hardwired" (their new album) vinyls from their recent London HMV signing went for £500-920. Now that James Hetfield basically stopped signing (or attending M&Gs) except for chartity or special events (like album release), they will inevitably go up.

Here is a question. I love Star Wars, but don't collect. However do you think the new Star Wars films either be cast pieces or solos like Daisy could end up being worth as much as original trilogy autographs since the obvious popularity is rising...Especially with these newer movies?

I do have some original trilogy SW but haven't gone after any others. It seems like one of the few newer ones with a nice sig is Daisy and that's if you pay in the 400 buck range for full graph. And she is so young she could sign for another 50 years! I will be dust! Another problem now that the "Mouse" owns them is a  movie could come out every two years. They will be out to recoup their investment.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service