We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I started a thread about a 1961 Cavern Club card that carries likely non-authentic John, George and Pete signatures. Here is a link to that thread:

http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/could-this-possibly-...

As I said in the thread, I was able to make a follow-up purchase from the same seller. This was for an unsigned 1960 Cavern Club card. The price was exactly the same as for the 1961 card. The seller believed that a 1960 card would be rarer than a 1961 one, which I guessed was probably true. Interestingly, the 1960 card carries a different member name. Some of the names and addresses in it are the same though (e.g. Chrissie Riley). Perhaps the two members were "an item" and eventually got married. The seller lives in the Isle of Wight and didn't have the same name as either member.

Once I got the card I was thrilled to see reference to the first Rory Storm gig at the club - in fact the first ever "beat" gig to be held there.

Being a bit of a sad case, I decided to look at the relevant page through a magnifying glass. I was even more surprised and really thrilled to see a crossed out "RITCHIE STARKEY" at the bottom of it. Next to the crossed out name is "7 pints" and above it is the name Paddy Denneally, which is presumably a misspelt "Paddy Delaney", the club doorman. I haven't checked out when Paddy started at the club but I hope it was before 25 May 1960.

Chas MacDevitt Skiffle is also referred to on the Rory Storm page. Again slightly misspelt, but the group played at the Cavern on 22 April, about a month before Rory's gig on 25 May. In Spencer Leigh's book Chas is quoted as saying, "The Cavern was known as a jazz club so I felt we were on the periphery of the scene when we played there. It was an okay night but nothing special." 

It is interesting to note that there are only two admissions noted and the admission paid in both cases is more than the admission charges in the 1961 card. No idea why. 

Anyway, here ar images of the whole card.

I'm also attaching a jpg of the Rory Storm page so it can (hopefully) be enlarged.

I'd really really appreciate any further information on this item - including links to relevant sites etc. I've been trying to find Cavern Club member forums but not a lot has turned up so far. 

Views: 240

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's a nice item despite the fact that it is pre-Beatle in terms of Cavern Club involvement (Except Ringo of course).

This article says that Paddy Delany started work at The Cavern in 1959 thereby fitting in with what is written inside the card.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/paddy-delaney-doorman-...

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service