We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I need help Identifying J D Salinger and other 1940's autographs

I recently .bought a collection of autographs acquired by Barbara Billingsley the daughter of Sherman Billingsley the owner of the famed Stork Club.  I bought them directly from her daughter and I have no concerns at all on authenticity BUT there are a couple of mysteries.  All of the items seem to be from 1947.  There is one that says: "for Barbara from a friend of her dad J??" with a little sketch of what looks like Ernest Hemmingway!  During this time Salinger was hanging out with Hemmingway at the Stork Club.  I have many amazing autographs from Walt Disney to Frank Sinatra from this group so anything is possible.  Please take a look at the scan and let me know what you think.  

thanks,

chris

jd.jpg

Views: 1289

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Join the Hollywood group and post your question and a link to this discussion on the comment wall. You should get several responses:

http://live.autographmagazine.com/group/hollywood

thanks, just did it.

it's neat, IMO it isn't Salinger his writing is alot neater then this even on his later things. Id say espically so for a friend or somebody of importance. Id also assume he would sign it " Jerry" as that's how he signed notes to friends 1947- would be pre catcher in the rye and before he had fame and became reclusive.  this was from 1951 still before the mega success from catcher (it had just came out)

I know it is wishful thinking.  When I searched google for images of his signature I did find one with a looping "J" that was similar but I would love to figure this out.  I sorted through them again tonight and deciphered a few so I am making progress.  I just dont want to miss a great one.

Here is an example of a "J" that is similar.

http://www.flashnews.com/news/wfn2100129J14022.html

This does not look like JD Salinger's signature.  Here are scans of JD Salinger's signature.

ted do you own  that salinger letter and envelope? where did you pick that up its pretty cool :)

Hi Steven,

The letter and the envelope was sold by Barb Pengelly approximately 10 years ago.  She separated the two items on her website.  A dealer paid $2200 for the letter and I paid $750 for the envelope.  By the time I saw the envelope on Barb's website during the evening, the dealer already purchased the letter earlier that same morning.  Barb was nice enough to run my a photocopy of the letter before shipping it to the dealer.  The dealer resold the letter at RR Auction and got approx. $3000.  Therefore, I only have a photocopy of the original letter but I have the envelope. 

thats still pretty awesome. 750 sounds like a good price to :)

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service