We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hello everyone,

I recently came across this item on ebay and thought it was pretty interesting. I am not sure of its authenticity because Kurt's signature varied so much, but if price is any kind of a give away, it looks like alot of people think its real.

If it is real, i thought it would be nice to have a scan of it here so that others could compare it too in the future since its a pretty unique piece.

Any thoughts?

Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181017610161?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_...

Views: 2199

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, i hadnt even thought about that or checked the bid history. This is a true shame. Surely their is something that can be done. Ill try reporting it again for a third time.

You might be right about shill bidding except eBay has that neat new feature that allows you to show 'automatic' bids. It looks like someone has put in a high proxy bid and someone else is trying to get past it. So yes it could be shill but it could easily be the usual for ebay these days which is the old try to get something for nothing ploy.

If PSA came back 'unable to render opinion'  I believe that is their way of letting you know they are just no sure. It may be good it may not. You guys know how conservative they are are and usually error on the side of caution and say things are bad even when good. There is a rumor that PSA won't even authenticate his signature anymore.

I actually think it might be OK. Kurt's handwriting was all over the place and was often horrible.

I will compare it to the one IP I have of Kurt when I get back to my office tonight.

Now its up to 1200 dollars!!! Amazing. I think the reason this is getting so many bids and people are bidding on it so hard is because its just ambiguous enough for the average collector to be convinced its real. If quick opinion is coming back unable to render then the seller will always have a way out, at least until someone submits it in person. A novice collector who wants a Cobain bad would likely look at this and see an old autograph book, an older looking signature, and a cool phrase and have interest. Together with the ambiguous quick opinion, and it bearing some resemblance to an authentic auto, would probably be enough for some collectors with money to pull the trigger. I think excitement and bid fever is getting to people and will cause harm in this instance.

I would send him a link to this thread but with his previous backpedaling i doubt he would even give it the slightest look. Its a shame someone is going to get burned for that much money. Maybe one day though they will find this thread and get their money back.

Thanks for all the effort and comments by everyone though

Ive been thinking about this item and looking it over for a while now, and one thing i find very unusual is the inscription. God is Gay is certainly something I could see Cobain saying, but him writing it on this note pad is another thing. I believe that if this is a forgery, which many think it is, that the inscription was written to add value and add confidence. But to me its also a give away, although i admit my logic here may be flawed.

The seller states that his uncle just happened to run into Cobain and he got the signature. He stated that their was a crowd of people and he was able to get close and get the signature. And here is why i think its so unlikely this signature is valid. If Cobain was outside, surrounded by people, would he really throw in the statement God is Gay? I highly highly doubt it. What would be his purpose?

I have seen Cobain items, such as the one Mike Airing posted, where Cobain wrote a long inscription based on a reaction to the item he was presented with to sign. If this guys uncle gave Cobain a Bible to sign or some type of religious article, or for that matter anything with words or pictures on it, then maybe i could see Cobain writing that statement. But the odds of him writing that when asked for a simple autograph I think are slim. He was given a blank small notebook to sign in  the middle of a crowd, and not only took the time to write his full name, but also put in a quote about God? It just seems unlikely considering the item and the sellers story. It really just doesnt make sense as to why Cobain would write that considering everything about the story.

Again, my logic may be flawed here, but i highly doubt that Cobain would have wrote that inscription based on a random fan handing him a blank memorandum book in the middle of a crowd.

Just my two sense though and if this piece is fake, i hope this thread will save someone 1200 bucks.

"God Is Gay" is from one of Kurt Cobain song called "Stay Away".

Stay Away. Stay Away

God is Gay.

I always have my doubts when there is an inscription with Kurt Cobain's autograph. As I had mentioned in my earlier reply, the writing on the inscription especially the "G" and "d" does not match up at all with any of Kurt Cobain handwriting that can be easily found on his journal.

Thanks J. Seah,

That makes sense now. I was trying to get my head around why he would have wrote that. So that clears it up. I know you know Nirvana very well and if you say its bad, i have no reason to doubt you. Thanks for the reply.

Wow!! Auction ended at $1802.77.

That is insane.

Collectors love a good story. Especially a made up one.

He may have added "God is Gay" because the person asking for the autograph was possibly in a military uniform and Cobain did not like men he percieved as macho. The seller said his uncle was a military man. I still don't think it is real at all.  

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service