We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

2011 Cox Celebrity Championship Golf Tournament hosted by Drew Brees

Did anyone happen to go this year's Cox Celebrity Championship Tournament hosted by Drew Brees?  I did.  It was held at the Morgan Club and Resort in Rancho Santa Fe, California on May 20 thru 22.  I had a good time even though I know nothing about golf and not interested in becoming a golf fan either.  I also took a lot of photos and got free autographs from retired and current athletes from football (Brees, Rice, Reed, Dilfer, etc.), baseball (Mulder, Anderson, etc,), basketball, olympians, and other celebrities.  The autograph session took place at 12 pm Saturday (I went on this day) and 3 pm Sunday after the golf celebrities (could you consider most of the celebrities golfers if they only golf occasionally or if they aren't golfing professionally in multiple tournaments?) got done with the 18th hole.  I would have stayed longer to get more autographs but, I had a Padres game to go to later that evening so I left at 2 pm.  Maybe next year, I'll stay longer. 

I, however, did n0t like everything about the security, resort, and the athletes.  The security was overprotective of the athletes, and if you got a little too close, they would tell you to back off.  I'm no crazy fan, or hated media type, or TMZ, but I see nothing wrong with trying to get a autograph or just taking a picture.  The athletes KNOW they are going to be hounded for pictures and autographs during this tournament, but then that's why they have security.  I just try not to get too disappointed.

The food at the resort was very expensive.  The best thing to do is to have a big breakfast before you go to the resort, and have a big lunch after you leave.  The celebrities usually tee early in the morning so expect a long day ahead of you by eating beforehand.

The athletes, while they are nice and mean well, try to avoid fans while they are golfing (especially Brees and Rice).  So don't expect them to smile for a picture, wave back at you, shake your hand, talk to you, be your friend, and/or sign an autograph while they are golfing.  They take this tournament seriously (maybe too seriously!  Football still has a lockout which may cancel any chances of a season this year.  Golfing may be the only thing these football players have to do this year). 

Overall, I had a fun time.  I hope to get even more autographs next year, and get some of lazy and cheapskate friends to go.  If you have never heard of this type of tournament and love autographs, I highly recommend that everybody go!  Affordable (mostly) fun for everyone.  Beats dropping hundreds of dollars at hobby stores and/or autograph events where the athletes don't want to be there!          

Views: 123

Reply to This

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service