We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

Certificate Number: X13755
Signer: Boston Braves - and NY Yankees Partial 1928
Field: Baseball
Description: Team Signed Baseball
Manufacturer: Reach DC/SS/TM  (USA)
Type: Official American League
Executive: Ernest S.  Barnard
Era: 1928
Model: PATD 1,530,410
Hall Of Famers: Ruth / Gehrig
Notables: Clark / Cooney / Dugan
Number Of Signatures: 5
Writing Implement: Steel-tip  Fountain Pen
Color: Black
Notes:

The underlying signatures have been since traced over in a blue steel-tip fountain pen

i am reading this to mean that the signatures have been traced over by a person other then the original signers.  i was always of the impression that the act of tracing ruined the signature and rendered it useless unless the original signer traced over his/her signature. but, according to JSA that isn't the case

Views: 971

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wouldn't it also be much more difficult to authenticate the original signature if it's been tampered with?  

here the ball

Attachments: No photo uploads here

I don't care what the circumstances are, a traced over signature is basically worthless.  we talk about forgeries all the time,  a traced over signature is not a heck of a lot different, in my opinion. it is not signed in the hand of the intended signer.  not to mention it is ugly! (in general)

I'd like to hear what JSA's justification for authenticating something like this is.  How were they able to authenticate a signature that has been decidedly tampered with?  Are they basing this solely on the age of the ball?  That seems irresponsible. 

I for one am not a fan of traced autos...just like terrier says they just like terrible and to me are worthless...I hate that but it seems many collectors do it...I also hate touch ups in signatures...if something is not perfect or the ink skipped or what ever...they look just as unnatural...I have many autos that skipped or ink did not stick correctly...and just like tracing a faded auto...touching them up looks just as bad to me...

i asked the seller about the traced signatures - his reply was that not all of them are traced so i wrote Jimmy spence and asked him about the LOA:

Hi Mike, Apparently, that's what it states in the LOA. All signatures were later enhanced. Best, Jimmy

James Spence, Jr. JSA Lead Authenticator SpenceLOA.com

Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 19:44:58 -0400
To: <jspence@spenceloa.com>
Subject: Cert #X13755
Cert #X13755
Hi Jim:
ran into a JSA LOA that has me puzzled - are all the signatures traced? the seller says no but i read your LOA to say all have been traced
Roland Auctions 6/2/2012
thanks,
Mike Dempsey

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service