We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

This has a little backstory. In either 1987 or 1988, I went with my mom to a new accountant she was using. His office was in a building's basement and the halls were lined with framed gold records for various British artists, mostly. There were a lot of Elton Johns, and I'd been a fan since my teens. 

So I asked the guy about the records, and why he had all these gold records on the walls of a tax firm. He said he collected them and that he was actually one of Elton's accountants! He said he traveled from America to England a few times a year to work on the accounts of some of the British music stars. 

I told him how much I loved Elton's music. He said that he'd be happy to give Elton a letter from me the next time he went, in several weeks.

Well, I didn't write a letter - I had a new busy career - and was still living at home. About a month later, my mom came home from a long day and dropped a large envelope in my hands. She said she'd been to pick up her tax returns, and that the accountant had an autographed photo AND a handwritten note from Elton for me!

I was thrilled and kept them all these years, only briefly hanging up the photo, and then filing them away in a safe drawer.

So here is the photo and also the signature and part of the note. The note is written in print.

I've searched images of his writing online and never come across printing like on this note. 

I do see that his signature changes here and there (mine do too!). I'm not so sure about it because I have never seen this exact kind of signature during my searches.

I really don't think the man was pulling my leg - why go to all that trouble, and he gifted me with them. The note is a few paragraphs, very casual, mentions the accountant and asks why I never wrote the letter, etc. Very cheery and down-to-earth.

I would love to hear the input from you folks who really are up on this kind of thing. Just finished reading Elton's autobiography and have been a little nostalgic lately for those 1970s. I've been playing Madman Across the Water and others ...

Thank you so very much!!

Views: 179

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry, neither the signed photo or letter are signed or handwritten by Elton.

Aw, well that bites the 33-years-ago dust!

Wonder what the heck this is all about, then. :(

Bah.

And thank you for the input. :)

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service