We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

Hi, Gang,

Do you think this Johnny Cash signed card is authentic?

Thanks,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Starline-JOHNNY-CASH-168-AUTO-Signed-/...Pete

Views: 1588

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just picked up a Kingsland first day cover, signed by Johnny, sold by Peggy Knight.  If it's not authentic, then I'm an idiot, and at least have some interesting stories to tell my husband when I present him with it on Christmas day!  By the way, I've been emailing Bill Miller and he's been TERRIFIC! 

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Ha ha ha...they're going to have to take me away and lock me up soon because I'm going crazy--Bill just wrote back and feels that this TOO is a secretarial.  So I just shot off a note to Peggy Knight with that info., and am waiting to hear back.  Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place...geez Louise.

Bill is 1000% one of the best in the hobby.  He will help anyone. I know you will find something soon. Don't give up :)

Well, he thinks he might have been looking at the first item I sent him to verify, so I resent the photo of the First Day Cover and he's going to have another look.  Fingers crossed.  At least the seller has offered to refund my money if it's a secretarial, which is nice, though I really really WANT this piece!

How would someone who worked for Johnny Cash for decades end up selling a secretarial autograph of his? Did you get the verdict back yet?

Hi Brick--still waiting.  I think that he and Peggy might be chatting.  I don't want to be a pain, but I think I'll email him again.  I really want this thing, but only if it's the real deal!

I have to say that Peggy is an absolute sweet heart. She took care of us when we went to see Johnny's last public performance in 2003 at the Carter Fold. She was selling authentic autographs at the show even. I'm thinking though, that she was probably given or sold secretarials over the years. She had complete access to Johnny and June though. Her book is filled with inside stories that are interesting to read.
Well, I got a response from Bill on my recent purchase. Basically he told me that he didn't mind giving his opinion on the first signature I had been considering (and didn't end up buying), but since he has so much going on, he doesn't have time to offer an opinion on the piece I actually purchased. He was so nice about my first inquiry, but seemed to be put off about the second. I totally understand, but wouldn't it have taken the same amount of time to glance at the autograph as it would have to type out that he didn't have time to do it? So now I'm in a bind, as Peggy is waiting for me to decide whether or not I want to keep it.

That is quite odd....Oh well, sorry about that.  I would just show them here and maybe we all can determine the authenticity.

Oh, don't apologize--you've been such a great help already.  My guess is that maybe Bill didn't want to get in the middle of it all since I mentioned that I had purchased it from Peggy, and that's fine since he really was very nice about it all.  Here is a photo of the item in question...it looked good to me when I did comparisons, and it's the same First Day Cover piece that Bill has on his site, though his is signed in ballpoint pen and this one is in sharpie.  Peggy had this, as well as an envelope signed by both June and Johnny, and a few other pieces listed on eBay through a friend.  She sends a provenance letter along with each piece purchased, so I figured it was a sure thing. 

Attachments: No photo uploads here

I'm not great with Johnny Cash's autograph, I can spot some forgeries and very well-known secretarials but not much beyond that. It seems like from the information you've given here that he thought it was secretarial and then felt uncomfortable saying that when he realized it was from Peggy. If you want a professional opinion on the autograph, it can be had from http://www.rogerepperson.com/ for $15. Roger Epperson used to post on this site more often and would give free advice on autographs but a lot of drama has taken place between then and now.

Something tells me you'd probably be better off to just return this piece.

Back and forth, back and forth.  Peggy is being so kind and is asking Bill straight up what he thinks but he hasn't gotten back to her.  Thanks for the suggestion about Roger--I'll look into it.

In the meantime, regardless of the story behind this goofy thing, does anyone have their own opinions about it?  As I said, I've compared dozens of signatures and can't make heads or tails--sometimes it looks absolutely authentic and other times his "real," signature looks completely different.  Since no one else is posting and I'm hogging the thread, I'd appreciate knowing what you guys think. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service