We now have a Musician-Direct Autograph Sales Forum where you can post individual discussions of new offerings. It's a big change—and a big improvement. We closed this discussion after 8 years but it will always be available to read. 

The new system has been in place for 2 months now and it's working well.

This video shows you how easy the new forum is to use.

You can follow the forum and be notified of new signings exclusively! And you can enter a musician's name in the forum's search box and find any discussions about them.

Be sure to click the Follow link at the bottom of the list of discussions.

Try it...I think you'll like it.

Steve Cyrkin

Though I recall a member posting a blog asking about this a while ago, I could not relocate it for my purpose in this discussion.

It can be nice when one stumbles upon a musician's shop (via their website), to see that they are selling their autographs. I figured this could grow as a wee database for listing those musicians who partake in this.

I recently recieved a couple press photos signed in ballpoint from John Mayall's website (http://www.johnmayall.com/merch.html). I am also aware that you can purchase signed CDs from Peter Noone of Herman's Hermits(http://peternoone.com/store/). John 5 ( formerly Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie guitarist) sells various items signed, with an option to dedicate.

So, does anyone else know of this being done by other musicians?

Views: 506167

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I can't speak for every merch vendor and every presigned product from record stores (i.e. Newbury Comics, JB Hi Fi, Record Store UK, etc), but I have to say that pretty much every item I've purchased from one of these places always looks legit.  Granted, there are some I'm not familiar with as much as others, but I rarely find much reason to be concerned.  The only time I ran across a signed copy sale that seemed to have a questionable result was the Neil Diamond signed CD deal from Looney Tunes last year.

I'll amend my last statement a - I did also find the Charli XCX signed CDs from Warner Ireland a bit unusual looking in contrast to the IP examples I've seen.  Other ones I've purchased from them are a bit too sloppy to properly assess (Josh Groban, Lykke Li).

Martin you are correct to be careful. Nicki Minaj was selling items that she did not sign and is not the only one selling via a website. The Wyman and Hynde items are fine and match in person signatures but you have to be careful as with buying anything.

I can post some of the online store items I've purchased alongside in-person counterparts I've gotten.  Of the signatures I have good familiarity with, they've always appeared spot on.  I was getting nervous when the signed Florence Welch (who had become an increasingly difficult signature) booklets were delayed from her management but was quite pleased to see that they did come through and were decidedly authentic.  

yes, please post these items...  by the way - Im only shocked about this sentence yesterday that this is a common practice in this business and also that they use to keep this secret....

Might come down to the personality/ego.  It's especially fair to question presigned items if the artist is not a good signer and not really fan-friendly.  Is the artist old and cranky?  Are they a diva?  There are certain musicians I am sure would not do that to their fans.  Others might be a bit questionable with that practice.  The fact that Nicki would would be involved in a scam like that didn't exactly shock me.

The forum is high on Newbury because we just don't see questionable material being sold by them.  If we had some bad results to share, they would have come forth by now. That's not to say that they're perfect and there has never been a bad result, but their track record seems to be quite excellent as verified by several knowledgeable collectors.

I agree, there might be a few bad apples out there but most of these people are not going to rip off their fans. You also have to check the signatures. Most managers are not master forgers.

If the signature in question was really simple then maybe it could be done. This is apparently what happened with some Beach Boys merchandise a while back, with Brian Wilson's assistant signing for him.

Still, some random tour manager forging a proper signature, or even a full set of signatures from a band, hundreds of times over seems unlikely to go unnoticed.

Every concert goer, regardless if they actually bought one, would be able to see the ones on display at the merchandise stand. Some would instantly recognize that something is wrong while others would have theirs rejected by TPAs later on.

Wasnt there also an issue with Dolly Parton selling her CD thru her website, supposedly signed, but it was stamped or something?

Here are a few examples I got myself alongside their pre-signed counterparts.  No heavyweights obviously (Florence being the closest).

Kimbra IP signed vinyl along with Newbury Comics signed cd cover.  Kimbra actually laughed and said that she "signs much worse after the show."  While it's obviously not bad at all, she's right in that he post-show autograph does look different than autographs signed in other circumstances.

Mark Foster (Foster the People) IP "Torches" CD alongside Newbury Comics "Supermodel" preorder.

Florence Welch IP signed "ceremonials" CD alongside JB Hi-Fi "How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful" preorder. Not the best example, as my IP autograph obviously is particularly rushed.

Sleater-Kinney (Carrie Brownstein and Janet Weiss) signed IP signed vinyl and signed CD from Recordstore UK.

Garbage IP signed "Not Your Kind of People" vinyl, alongside Newbury Comics signed CD cover and Garbage official merch store signed "Control" 7" vinyl.

CHVRCHES IP signed "Gun" vinyl, alongside Sanity Australia photo card (included with debut CD preorders).

Do you have jbhifi in the states Rich? I can go into j and find signed items from local aussie bands to Canadian bands like The tea party.

Nope, I order some of their signed items through the online store.  They don't have as many a Newbury, but they do get some interesting ones in from time to time (Florence, Phil Rudd, Guy Pearce, Adam Lambert, etc).

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service