We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hi,

I'm new here, so if this is a repost, I apologize.

I bought many autographed baseballs in the mid 1980s that I had signed at shows.  When I go back now and look at them, some have fairly extensive brown discoloration.  The balls were stored in the same way, some are official AL balls while some were NL balls.  Does anyone know why this happened?  Very frustrated.

On a similar issue, I would like to have some of these balls placed in my office where I can actually see them.  Advice on the best way to display and protect them?

Thanks!

Adam

Views: 2158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From the PSA website....i think it also involved NL baseballs.  Got many baseballs signed back in the day using these.  Now blotched with oily stains....

A Note about Haiti Baseballs - Bobby Brown AL - 1984-1990

There are several ways a collector can protect his autographed ball collection and several ways a ball can deteriorate if not protected properly. There is one note about 1984-1990 Bobby Brown American League baseballs that needs to be explained. The baseballs with "Haiti" placed under the Rawlings logo stamp were made without the use of distilled water, thus, allowing for enzymes to potentially turn the color of the ball over time. You will usually notice yellow/brown soiling on these baseballs due to the flaw in production. While this may not affect every baseball produced with this stamping, it is a key to note.

Seeing as Martin nailed the spotting explanation, I'll skip ahead to the display. The most important factor in displaying any autographed item, balls included, is to never ever leave them in direct sunlight and avoid fluorescent lighting at all costs. Leave them on a dark shelf or in a dark area of your office only taking them into the light to show off. It amazes me how much rotating I have to do of the stock in the shop I work at. Leaving any signed item in a bright location you can be assured that the signature will disappear over time.   

Thank you both for your responses. Martin- I had seen the PSA explanation before, but I had it happen on both AL and NL balls, so I appreciate the response.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service