We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

As a collector of autographs, rock memorabilia, I feel that I need to allow for a percentage of forgeries that I may have purchased over my time of collecting. Well I hope to keep the percentage small, but I think it's almost impossible to have a 100 percent success rate ,not being an expert that is. Even these days people are disagreeing with tpa.

Well that seems to be the reality for me , how about you and your collection?

Views: 7692

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How do members respond ,when their autograph is legitimate piece and then a Tpa fails it?

Do you seek out more opinions from different sources?

what it the point?  if you know its real, why even send it to a TPA?

Because some people like to have them authenticated for one and other collectors feel comfortable with a little sticker when buying.

If it's not to sell then what a TPA says doesn't matter. If the intention is to sell then I would solicit opinions from those who have good expertise to see what they said. Find the right venue and go for it.

In the last year, more and more people don't care what the TPAs say. Of the 10-20 messages a week that I get, asking about authenticity (mostly Harrison Ford & Star Wars autographs,) nearly half of the items are already certified by a TPA.

TPA is only good for flipping items to the mass market and people that don't know any better. Well educated collectors trading among themselves know that most COAs are worthless. 

There is no doubt that a TPA will broaden the market appeal if you are going to sell the item. With that said, I have only submitted an item for a TPA once in my life. I do not like to do it. I have found that if an autograph is good it will sell. If an autograph is questionable it is hard to sell and usually only at a bargain price. I have gotten to the point that I know enough people with a good eye for authenticity that I trust their opinion far more than any TPA.

As you guys have mentioned, if someone knows there stuff they will buy the autograph without a coa.
Lately there's been so a run of forgeries they have been passing.
What you do if it fails one tpa then send it to another if that fails you just sell it and dont tell anyone it failed. Wink wink.

Unless you got it in person then I would be suspect if two or more TPAs fail the signature. Sometimes in person signatures are so rushed and bad that no one wants it anyway; authentic or not. I would never sell something that I knew would fail a TPA without telling the person about it. That could come back to haunt you. Bad karma.

I recently had my first experience ever with JSA at a place (Poppels) at Mont mall in PA. I had an Elton poster that I knew was good with great provenance. however one day down the road I figure I might sell it. A very young (to me,low twenties guy and girl)couple sitting at a computer told me to leave it and asked how I got it (ent man Mohegan Sun). Said to come back in about 2 hrs. Came back, it passed. They were nice kids but I just don't know what makes them experts besides just matching up examplers on their computer unless they are getting Rogers quick opinion. Personally unless I want to sell something, I'm not bothering getting anything 'authenticated".

The question they asked is the worst thing I have ever heard. If you answered that you bought it off ebay, would it have passed?

If these "authenticators" were even remotely competent, that question would be the last thing ever asked.

How many forgers would answer that question any other way besides "I got it in-person"?  

Exactly.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service