We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

Sorry to say I feel I have rooted out another very good set of Floyd forgeries and unfortunately the CD was passed by PSA/DNA, the Epperson Cert has been determined a fake.

This drum head just popped up on ebay. The CD has been passed around from dealer to dealer on ebay for a couple years now and is now passed by PSA/DNA.

I remember seeing the CD hit ebay years ago it I thought it was good but then a month or so later I saw a drum head hit ebay almost identical to the new (pictured above) and I noticed it was identical to the CD also, including one member being signed in red and thought... that was funny. So now this new one pops up and it became clear to me that these are in fact not real.

Because I have been getting in person autographs so long I am trying to present myself with a scenario that would produce these two (shown) items and the one that I saw a while ago (I can't find an image of it unfortunately) but I simply can't. Here are some bullet points.

- In person autographs never match identically from piece to piece like these do, it's like a machine signed them.

- The red pen, so getting something signed in red is not common, I has happened to me only once at a baseball game when Ozzie Smith grabbed a kids red sharpie and signed everything with it. People who would have the opportunity to get these three men should not have a red sharpie. And what? Hey Rick, can you a Dave switch on this one??? ya right.

- This is a classic forger move. Imagine him sitting at his desk with a pile of pens and little brain and screwing this one up.

- The drum head is a Chinese generic head, autograph hounds buy these in bulk for a few bucks a piece and so do the forgers. Similar to the Team Derek MO they buy hundreds of $1 bin records and they rarely even bother to properly take the price tags off, forgers are lazy and cheap. A VIP who would have the opp to lets say be in the same room as the 3 men would not have one like this ever and even if they were signed at different times it is clear that the members, given the identical signatures would have signed the CD and Head at the same time respectively so he would have had to ask them all to switch pens per signature which would never happen. So to me that eliminates that scenario.

- See the hitch in the Wright signature I circled. This is called indecision and it shows the forger couldn't continue with the flow Rick typically signs with. Rick does not do this hitch, and even if let's say he did it once cause he was bumped in a crowd or something you certainly would not see two identical.

- Since these are from the same hand I can see Dave squishing his signature flat to fit it on the CD, but not the drum head. This is dead give away.

I mean not the blow up PSA, again, but they really need to stop, take a moment, do some research when authenticating high end autographs. If you are strictly going off exemplars then you are not looking for pasterns left by forgers per say. I can't blame PSA though, it looks real with no context of the other one but they should know how hard David Gilmour is to get to sign and he should be very diligent in authenticating them.

I am interested in any feedback.

Views: 2371

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Having obtained All 4 members in person over a 25 year period (various sigs of all)... I do not know how the drumhead ever passed any authentication .   It is bad.   ALmost ALl RICKS I have obtained do not say Rick Wright...He was writing his entire name  RickWright in a continuous flow..not two words.... My Gilmour experience has 3 in preson graphs in 25 years..so I cant say I am expert..but he didnt underline anything he signed for me... red pen..no comment... Ive seen people hand someone an Orange  marker  and we all got stuck with orange graphs it happens. Some Joker gave Paul McCartney a BALLPOINT pen after a show and that is what he used...would not switch to a sharpie.

I mean it's a decent forgery. If just the CD existed I would have believed it but with the drum head it just didn't add up anymore. To me, these are best forgeries of Floyd I have seen so far, everything else is worse then these in my eyes. Fortunately I feel these are older forgeries and were isolated and not being done anymore.

You guys are awesome, I never would have known without your input. Thanks, Scott

OK David your making me worry now.. This is my copy and Mr. Wright did sign two words not one.. Scott

Hi really only connect his signature when he was on tour with Dave. I got some both ways but mostly connected. Yours is fine.

What year did Rick Sign this...since around 1994..at leasst for me..he was signing Rick Wright as one long word. I took a look at my WALL signed Lp by Rick..that was the first time I met him in 1987 (the Momentary Lapse Tour) and it is TWO words. .. That is a nice Gilmour and the NEATEST Mason I have seen lol

As the story I was told David K. The shine on boxed set was released in 1992, scattered in the first pressing were 10 letters offering the owner an opportunity to meet the 3 band members in LA. to have their book signed. This is from that meeting, and explains why the signatures are the cleanest I have ever seen. It very well have been in 1994. Scott

I bought one of those Nick mason biography from the publisher presigned..it looks exactly like this... In person we know  Masons its a lot stranger...

this is correct. I used to own one of the letters from i think Columbia? Can't remember. But 10 was the number.

Hey David, I have several Ricks with the separation. On that last tour everyone was racking him, it was a frenzy or they had stacks, he was rushed so he did the connected version but he didn't always do that. I have a couple from the early 2000's I got in LA that we separated and I got a guitar and I think a WYWH on the last tour that we separated. I agree, it's far rarer but not unheard of.These are some more recent signed items, he didn't always connect it.

Hace to show you afew of mine...will post later... Gilmour signed nothing except the CD (no albums)..and the tour before with Floyd in 1994 he did not want to sign...extremely difficult and didnt stay at hotel much went to CT by car..caught him at restaurant.. his wife was "sorry he cant do that" for  3 of us who found him.  I got him tot take a phot o with me on the 2006 tour at hotel....which is harder than the graph..I said "Dave Ive been trying 17  years..he said Ok then lets get on with it" and he POSED... Rick was getting more and more angry as the tour went on..he had enough

David, he signed for professionals behind security when he first flew in for those shows. There, the pro's hired some girls and a couple military buddies and he signed a few albums. Then he stopped and they were getting him on matted up items for a bit then it was shut down. I estimate he signed about 20-30 pieces of memorabilia (other then the solo CD's) in all that first hour after he landed. Then in a couple other cities I saw him sign clear wrapped CD's, those guys got some sort of 3M material signed then laminated it on pick guards. Same as they do with McCartney. I also saw him sign a tour program in LA for guy, that was surprising honestly cause he was done done done by then too. I didn't see any photo's with though... good one.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service